Playtime!

Image
I just love this picture: boy and plane, off the ground.

Witness Report, sort of . . .

"If sinners be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. If they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees. Let no one go there unwarned and unprayed for." (Spurgeon)

I’ve gone without posting a witnessing report for a while now for a few reasons, the foremost is that I’ve not had dedicated time to make a report. I shall endeavor to catch up the news here.

One of my daughters has joined me on a few outings and would probably tell you how crazy her dad is. She is quite supportive and I am glad to have her along in this rare father-daughter opportunity. Together we have walked much of downtown and have shared some sights and scenes together, which in its own rite, has been quite enjoyable. I am also glad to have her along to talk to disciple her in this unique way.

We spent a time or two on campus at the University of South Carolina and have had some good conversations with folks. Our best conversations are at Finlay Park.

This last week I was joined by a friend, Maurice, visiting from Africa. Together we talked to about 18 people in the space of just over an hour about their need for Christ. I had just gotten some new tracts and was eager to try them out because they are very conversational. Maurice stood quietly by as my prayer partner while I talked to folks.

At the playground were three adults sitting together and we approached them and started our conversation with the new tracts. Right away they knew why we were there, but the tract was a great help to set them at ease so we could just “talk” and get comfortable. Once we had some rapport, I shared the gospel with them. I discovered that in a small group of people, one usually speaks for the group and the others sit or stand nearby really wishing to be somewhere else. I try to engage their participation, but it is minimal.

As I finished talking with this group, another had sat down just out of ear-shot off to the side. I saw them and really wanted to move out of the area, to give the people I just talked with some “breathing room.” This lady yells out, “HEY!” Maurice and I turned. This lady was sitting with her teen-age kids and motioned for us to come over.

“Yes?” I asked, “Can I help you?”

“How come you didn’t ask us no questions?” She seemed almost upset we were leaving.

I was shocked, thinking, “do you know what you are asking?” So I proceeded.

I am still amazed that God stopped us through the lady’s request. She, along with her daughter and son (I think it was her son—I just remember his name is Anthony) actually had a concept of the guilt of sin and the need for salvation. They knew what repentance was . . . but they had never done it. Wow. God used her to bring us back that we could say that today was the day of salvation! I pray they followed through.

Not 10 minutes later, Maurice and I met Tony, a former ward of the state of South Carolina. He, too, knew he had a sin problem, but was very busy trying to be good. We had the chance to tell him to give it up and that Jesus paid the penalty for sin. All he needed to do was repent! I wish I could have taken a picture . . . the look of relief that came over his face was quite striking.

Herbert was getting ready to go jogging when we met him. He acknowledged the guilt of his sin and told us (basically) that he thought his salvation depended on his church attendance and that he was backslidden.

“Did you know the Lord?” I asked.

Turned out, he hadn’t. Maurice and I pointed Herbert to the cross and we pray that he set about jogging as a new creation in Christ Jesus.

In sharing the gospel I notice these themes when confronted with the law:

  1. Just about everyone does not want to admit they have every lied. They would rather say they are “human” or get right to the point and say they are sinners. People need to realize exactly what sin is, and admitting being a liar is a first step. One does not know sin but by the law. Besides, even if they feel they have broken no other commandment, I show them Revelation 21:8.
  2. Just about everyone who does admit to stealing is quick to state, “but it was long ago,” as if they didn’t know better then and have never done it since; or that their goodness covers their tracks. It is right about here people’s faces begin to fall when they realize they are not good.
  3. When asked about adultery, some are quick to quote Jesus’ statement about looking with lust. If not, I remind them and they are silent.
  4. I’ve not met anyone who will say they have not taken the Lord’s name in vain.
  5. When asked if they observe a Sabbath or keep one day in seven for worship, I usually get silence.
  6. Murder: I get two answers here. From those who actually have (including those who confess abortion—interesting those who do confess abortion KNOW it is murder . . . now) there is no hesitation to admitting guilt. If I get a “no” answer, I am surprised [perhaps I should not be, based on #1, above] when people deny they have ever hated anyone!

Only once has anyone ever responded in an unpredictable way altogether. I asked a guy if he had committed adultery (he said “no”) until I reminded him that Jesus said if you look at someone with lust, adultery has been committed. This guy looked at me and suddenly his eyes got wide and he said, “Oh! I gotta go!” and he took off running. I don’t know what he was running to or from, but I never got the chance to point him to the cross . . .

With the Summer approaching and more people are out and about, I am looking for every opportunity to witness, still praying for a team to go out on the streets. I found a small group here in the College who go out, and I will join them next semester.

What about you?

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception