Grandparent's Day!
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Yes, it’s Grandparent’s Day! Actually, in the United States we’ve been celebrating Grandparent’s Day since 1978--in September--but it’s not September, is it? It’s January. Well, just as we have “Mother’s Day” in May and “Father’s Day” in June here in America, Poland reserves Monday January 21 for “Grandma’s Day” (Dzień Babci) and Tuesday January 22 is “Grandpa’s Day” (Dzień Dziadka)!
I like this idea of having these days to ourselves because my wife is both “Mom” and “Nana.” I am both “Dad” and a “Papa!” We are sort of a “Version 1.0” to our 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5. Then there is our little 3.0 that makes us Grandparents.
One feature that stands out about this observance is how many countries intentionally set aside a day to honor Grandparents. This is a day to appreciate culture and heritage: where we come from, who we come from, what they did. I recall many years ago when in Junior High School I interviewed my grandfather by phone, recording our conversation and writing a report. I wish I still had the tape; regardless, the conversation impacted me as I grew to love and appreciate both my Pop and my Grandad.
Here’s an idea: interview your grandparents. Here’s a list of suggested questions to ask, or be inspired to do more through StoryCorps.
I like this idea of having these days to ourselves because my wife is both “Mom” and “Nana.” I am both “Dad” and a “Papa!” We are sort of a “Version 1.0” to our 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5. Then there is our little 3.0 that makes us Grandparents.
One feature that stands out about this observance is how many countries intentionally set aside a day to honor Grandparents. This is a day to appreciate culture and heritage: where we come from, who we come from, what they did. I recall many years ago when in Junior High School I interviewed my grandfather by phone, recording our conversation and writing a report. I wish I still had the tape; regardless, the conversation impacted me as I grew to love and appreciate both my Pop and my Grandad.
Here’s an idea: interview your grandparents. Here’s a list of suggested questions to ask, or be inspired to do more through StoryCorps.
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...