Art, As It Is
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
The word “art” comes out of the 13th century, referring to a skill acquired after much practice. A “work of art” is the result of the skill-in-practice. This is perhaps why I have such a difficulty with different artistic styles. Beginning with myself, I am not a painter nor am I am illustrator so I just leave such expression well enough alone. Despite my efforts and best practice, I cannot “see” a pleasurable result in what I put on canvas or paper. I rather enjoy the skill of others in this manner.
His artwork is not super or grand as others--most folks have never heard of Giotto-- but his art stands out by making skillful statements both theologically and philosophically. Nature is natural, not unnatural. There is only the natural expression that identifies nature as it is. Also, man is a created being, not a symbol and very much like his Creator, creative.
This leads to a question: What is “abstract?”
- As an adjective, that is which is abstract exists in thought, an idea. No tangibility or existence.
- As a noun, we refer to the theoretical or that which is something else.
So what is “abstract art?” Abstract art should defy definition; however, some may identify it as an expression autonomous of any reference; that is, independent in and of itself. So is “abstract art” possible? No. Art and skill go together, producing a coherent result. “Abstract” is without skill, for the moment it is, then it crosses the boundaries into perception.
I once dropped a 200 ounce bale of silver wire that exploded in such a mess that I threatened to call airports around the country to offer my new work of art for sale at the cost of millions of dollars. What’s the difference between Jackson Pollock and anything I can produce on the garage floor (other than the fact that I am not a basket case)? It’s not fair.
The problem is not new. Giotto (an artist in the late middle ages) recognized that picture art moved away from reality. Nothing was believable in what was being displayed. Scenes were flat, unnatural, even separated from the viewer. Giotto brought back depth and action and natural movement, focusing his attention on the greatest scenes imaginable for inspiration: biblical narrative.
His artwork is not super or grand as others--most folks have never heard of Giotto-- but his art stands out by making skillful statements both theologically and philosophically. Nature is natural, not unnatural. There is only the natural expression that identifies nature as it is. Also, man is a created being, not a symbol and very much like his Creator, creative.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
The Island-Fish
“O ye passengers, whom may God preserve! come up quickly in to the ship, hasten to embark, and leave your merchandise, and flee with your lives, and save yourselves from destruction; for this apparent island, upon which ye are, is not really an island, but it is a great fish that hath become stationary in the midst of the sea, and the sand hath accumulated upon it, so that it hath become like an island, and trees have grown upon it since times of old; and when ye lighted the fire upon it, the fish felt the heat, and put itself in motion, and now it will descend with you into the sea, and ye will all be drowned: then seek for yourselves escape before destruction, and leave the merchandise.—The passengers, therefore, hearing the words of the master of the ship, hastened to go up into the vessel, leaving the merchandise, and their other goods, and their copper cooking-pots, and their fire-pots; and some reached the ship, and others reached it not. The island had moved, and descended...
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...