Playtime!

Image
I just love this picture: boy and plane, off the ground.

malis mala succedunt

"troubles are followed by troubles."

In Japanese, they say, “when crying, stung by bee.” The point of these expressions is to capture an unfortunate reality of life: that what can go wrong will… and often all at the same time.

So during this COVID-19 quarantine, things are just that. 
  • I've lost my job after 19 years
  • I am no longer a doctoral student.
  • The State has removed our niece from our home after yet another suicide attempt and has put us in a horrible position. Good thing we have friends and documentation of her history.
  • Stay-at-home orders are in effect.
We can't control the storm but we can control how we respond to it. 
Yes, I mourn a little every day, but only when I'm not busy and start dwelling on what I can't control or change.
  • God has me in a place where I have nothing or nobody to depend on but Him.
  • I can now update my resume and my office is clean.
  • I know who my real friends are (trouble has a way of sifting people).
  • My wife can still finish her degree online.
  • Niece is now getting the help we've been trying to get for months and months and months. 
"If you’re only prepared for a few, isolated and tiny things to go wrong, you’re going to be rudely surprised by how often difficulties come in pairs or triplets or entire litters. If you think life is going to be one lucky break after another, you’re going to be rudely surprised when, to quote Seneca, fortune decides to behave exactly as she pleases." (Ryan Holiday)

Disarm trouble by preparing your mind beforehand so when it comes, you are ready. Just don't make it worse by doing something stupid.

The world is a different place.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Happy Valentines Day!