The Eve of St. Agnes

 

  “ . . . And still she slept an azure-lidded sleep, 

       In blanched linen, smooth, and lavender'd, 

       While he forth from the closet brought a heap 

       Of candied apple, quince, and plum, and gourd; 

       With jellies soother than the creamy curd, 

       And lucent syrops, tinct with cinnamon; 

       Manna and dates, in argosy transferr'd 

       From Fez; and spiced dainties, every one, 

From silken Samarcand to cedar'd Lebanon. 


       These delicates he heap'd with glowing hand 

       On golden dishes and in baskets bright 

       Of wreathed silver: sumptuous they stand 

       In the retired quiet of the night, 

       Filling the chilly room with perfume light.— 

       "And now, my love, my seraph fair, awake! 

       Thou art my heaven, and I thine eremite: 

       Open thine eyes, for meek St. Agnes' sake, 

Or I shall drowse beside thee, so my soul doth ache. . . “


From “The Eve of St. Agnes” (on January 20) by John Keats, published 1820. Spend 15 minutes in the Classics!

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Welcome, May!