To What New Suffering Am I Shifted?


“Who from the accursed regions of the dead haleth me forth, snatching at food which ever fleeth from my hungry lips? What god for his undoing showeth again to Tantalus the abodes of the living? Hath something worse been found than parching thirst midst water, worse than ever-gaping hunger? Cometh the slippery stone of Sisyphus to be borne upon my shoulders? or the wheel stretching apart my limbs in its swift round? or Tityus’ pangs, who, stretched in a huge cavern, with torn out vitals feeds the dusky birds and, by night renewing whate’er he lost by day, lies an undiminished banquet for new monsters? To what new suffering am I shifted?”
  (The Ghost of Tantalus, from Seneca’s play, “Thyestes”)

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Welcome, May!