Two Pieces

These two pieces were given to me by my maternal grandfather when I was a teenager. He bought them somewhere around in East Texas, if I recall correctly (my sweet aunts might be able to provide more information). When I later moved to New Mexico, the pieces felt at home. I enjoyed wearing them and talking about them with Navajo and Zuni craftsmen when I sold precious metals and semi-precious stones at Thunderbird Jewelry Supply. 


The original watch was replaced some years ago after it stopped working and it’s replacement has since followed suit. I’d like to replace it someday, but would like it to be a traditional wind-up watch. It’s no easy task, as the watch pins are under the leaves, so it must be right. Too much bending could cause breakage. There is no replacement for a broken watchband. I don’t wear them anymore, but keep them put away safe for a special occasion.


Each leaf, bead, and twisted wire are handcrafted. The dark matrix allows the turquoise to peek from the oxidized bezel.
 


Every time I look at them, I remember my grandfather. 

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Welcome, May!