Its Happening

Image
  I’ve been spending the last few months on something I’ve always wanted to do: write a book. I’m using every possible moment on this project and it’s really coming along. I am currently 7 chapters completed out of a potential 20.  However, given the source material, each chapter is just a little bit longer than the previous. So who knows when I’ll be finished. I’m learning so much tho! 

Happy Bloomsday

We interrupt our irregularly scheduled flight of fancy that we might observe this day, June 16, known to most bookworms (the Irish ones, in particular) as “Bloomsday.” Herein we celebrate (with as much reserve as panache) the literary marvel that is “Ulysses” as written by James Joyce. The novel in its entirety takes place on this one day in 1904, telling the story of a man who is trying to avoid going home to his wife. In ironic real life, it was the same day Joyce met his wife-to-be. Love it and hate it. It’s not an easy read, but it’s definitely rewarding. It does not soften reality.

I’ve provided below a sample from his work that I find most poetic, as the rhythm and alliteration are astounding. Read slowly, out loud. Pay attention to the sounds of the letters, the words. Genius!

My copy was published in 1961 and contains in the forward, “The Monumental Decision Of The United States District Court Rendered December 6, 1933, By Honorable John M. Wolsey Lifting The Ban On ‘Ulysses.’” Fascinating.

Popular posts from this blog

"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion

“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “