Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

The Third Commandment

Blasphemy is the use of action and language in terms of supreme insult that reveals the true heart of a person. Primarily, blasphemy concerns one’s attitude toward God. Specifically to blaspheme means to blame God. Blasphemy clearly communicates one’s lack of reverence and in that communication the blasphemer exalts himself above another, even implying that he himself has attributes of diety. This is why blasphemy is wrong. It is the next domino to fall after breaking the 1st commandment (“You shall have no other gods before Me”) and the 2nd commandment (“You shall not make for yourself graven images and bow down to worship them”).

G. Campbell Morgan teaches his readers that taking the name of the Lord in vain is more than simple profanity, the reducing of the name of God and the reputation that name recalls to a mere throw-around word. Morgan shows that where there is blasphemy is also frivolity and hypocrisy.[i] We are accustomed to the concept that one simply does not use the name of God as a common word. Why should a man use words that involve deity? If anyone really is reaching for an explicative, why not use Hitler’s name? What we are not accustomed to is the concept that taking the name of the Lord in vain is more than language. Consider the following passage: “Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’” (Matthew 7:22-23)

We will be reminded that “Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness.” (1 John 3:4). Plainly Jesus is telling sinners to depart. But what lawless deeds are they doing? What sin are they committing? They use the name of God with no intention of personally obeying the God of the name. Sinners are people who are using God’s name to prophesy and cast out demons, even perform miracles yet, are not known by God. They use His name but are not identified by it, only with it.

Jesus said, “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.”

Think of it this way: a phrase we so often hear is “God damn you” or something to that effect. This is a horrific statement in that one desires the Almighty to carry out His divine wrath and judgment on the person (or thing) with the most severe eternal consequence for a matter of lesser significance. The problem is first, the one making the imprecation is praying against instead of for another. This is selfish. Second, one is commanding God to do the bidding of the one making the statement post-haste. God is at the beck and call of no-one. Third, no thought is given to the eternal significance of the statement. Scripture plainly states that it is not God’s will that any should perish; therefore, His purpose since the Fall has been to save man, not damn him. If anyone goes to hell it is because of his own choices to reject what God has provided, which is salvation in Christ Jesus!

Some take God too lightly; hence, taking His name in vain. I remember a number of years ago certain movies were newly released that as a young child I wanted to see because they looked entertaining. I remember also my father’s stern teaching that those shows were nothing short of blasphemy because they made God the butt of the joke. God was not George Burns playing to the whims of humanistic atheist John Denver. God is not a cartoon hand of too many Monty Python clips nor is he surrounded by small time custodians as he bumbles through eternity. Jesus did not have a lust for glory. Morgan Freeman got it right either and Jim Carrey couldn’t help.

The one who says, “Lord, Lord” and does not do as He commands is a blasphemer. The one who wears the badge of God (as it were) and goes out misrepresenting Him is a blasphemer.

So what is worse: the blasphemy of those found within the church, or those on the street?
Hear this, O house of Jacob, who are named Israel and who came forth from the loins of Judah, who swear by the name of the Lord and invoke the God of Israel, But not in truth nor in righteousness.” (Is 48:1)

If God is loved supremely, there will be exaltation of nothing or nobody else in God’s face;
If God is loved supremely, the body will act accordingly;
If God is loved supremely, the mouth will speak appropriately;
If God is loved supremely, time is used wisely . . . but that’s another blog.

Someone wrote a little tract called, “Ten Reasons Why I Swear.” [my thoughts are in brackets]

1. It pleases mother so much. [Only because you wouldn’t dare use her name as trash.]
2. It is a fine mark of manliness. [I know some ladies that swear just as strongly . . .]
3. It proves I have self control. [Prove it by stopping it.]
4. It indicates how clearly my mind operates. [And we hear the limited vocabulary contained therein!]
5. It makes my conversation so pleasing to everybody. [God said “Don’t do it”, so your “everybody” left “somebody” out.]
6. It leaves no doubt in anyone's mind as to my good breeding. [But one questions your upbringing.]
7. It impresses people that I have more than ordinary education. [Well, you must have failed a class or slept through some lectures.]
8. It is an unmistakable sign of culture and refinement. [Bacteria has more culture and ethanol has more refinement, my friend.]
9. It makes me a very desirable personality among women and children and in respectable society. [Desirable? You mean “Wanted”, like at the Post Office!]
10. It is my way of honoring God who said, "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain." [Like using a hammer to drive a screw, right?]

“Swearing is just a habit with me!” Sure. Like beating your wife, robbing banks or poisoning babies.

If we put our ear against the portals of eternity, we may hear the blasphemer who has already passed from this life to his damnation. "O miserable state of intolerable torments, which I must endure! How shall I spend this eternity of pain! It was nothing to me in time to hear others curse and blaspheme--and to join in the infernal dialect myself! And now I am encircled with unceasing blasphemies, from all the legions of demons, from all the millions of miserable sinners, suffering under infinite vengeance! And I mingle in the uproar, and join in the terrible tumult against the throne of God, although dreadfully tortured in my rebellion. Then, curses accented every sentence; now, every sentence is one continued curse! I thought God was altogether such a one as myself--and that He would never remember my swearings, which I never minded, nor call me to account for committing what I made no account of. Damn me! damn me! was always on my tongue--and now I am damned forever! The oaths and curses which I sowed in time, have now sprung up into bitter bewailings, and eternal blasphemings! As I took pleasure in cursing, so it is come unto me--but with inexpressible pain! O eternity, eternity, how long!"

**********
[i] Morgan, G. Campbell. The Ten Commandments. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1974.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception