Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

Thinking outside the box (no, really!)

I was deep in thought as I moved down the hallway.

I was deep in thought when I pressed the button for the elevator.

I was deep in thought when the door closed.

I was deep in thought as I waited . . .

. . . and waited . . .

. . . and waited . . .

. . . and waited . . .

I was deep in thought when I looked for the door to open.

I was deep in though when my foot moved forward . . .

. . . and the door did not open.

My thoughts vaporized as I stood there, looking at the closed door.

My thoughts swirled as I noted how this elevator ride was different than other elevator rides:

I did not sense the slight push of my feet against the floor.

I had not heard the whirr of the motors and cables as I moved through the walls of the building.

I had not felt the clunk of the box settling in place.

I must have been deep in thought.

Real deep.

So deep that I had to discover that I had not moved! I had not pushed the button!

The lesson came home to me quickly: I have enough irons in the fire to keep me busy until doomsday, but if I have not love for God first in all things, then nothing matters. I’ve not been moved.

Sure I could have stayed in the box until someone else came along and pushed a button. I could have also been more embarrassed to be discovered by someone and talked about as the guy who didn’t know how to operate an elevator. Someone might already say my own elevator doesn’t go all the way to the top.

But that’s how it is. In all the distractions and cares of the world, I can stand there in my box and think I am going someplace, making a difference. The reality is, I am just standing still, embraced by four walls, a ceiling and a floor.

I can stand there until someone else comes along . . . but when will someone come?
Will it be in time?

And who will it be that comes along?

And what will they do when they come?

For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.“ (Ro 5:6-9)

Thank you, Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception