Anti-depressants and Spiritual Conviction

Note: Below is an anonymous article given to the women of our church from one of our newer members. It is anonymous due to the fact that she wishes to protect her former church. I believe that what this member is saying should be heard by many. Please feel free to distribute this to those who might benefit the most from it. (Jim Elliff, of Christian Worldview Network).

********
My guilt has overwhelmed me
like a burden too heavy to bear.
My wounds fester and are loathsome

because of my sinful folly.
I am bowed down and brought very low.


This passage is from Psalm 38, which is subtitled, “Prayer of a Suffering Penitent.” Ladies, have you ever felt as David did when he wrote these words? Have you ever had a burden of guilt too heavy to bear? Remember now a time when you were brought very low by your sin, so low that you went about as if in mourning all day long. Do you have that time or place in mind? Good. Now, praise God for it! Thank Him that you were able to feel the real grief your sin caused, both for you and for Him, and let me explain to you why that is a blessing.

Five years ago I experienced a deep “valley” in my life. My father was very ill. Diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems, and heavy smoking had brought him to a place of chronic serious illness. My mother, already dependent on him because of her own health problems, had broken her arm and needed a lot of help. I was home-schooling my two children at the time, co-leading the youth ministry at my church, and fulfilling other key leadership roles in the congregation. We had attended this church for 5 years at the time, and my husband and I were both heavily involved in ministry.

Read the rest of “Anti-depressants and Spiritual Conviction”.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception