Jesus, Our Owner
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
"Do you look at things according to the outward appearance? If anyone is convinced in himself that he is Christ's, let him again consider this in himself, that just as he [is] Christ's, even so we [are] Christ's." (2 Cor 10:7)
If you belong to Christ, know that you are individually owned. “He is Christ’s.” Twice in his previous letter, Paul reminds the Corinthians of being “bought at a price” and with that purchase we are free to glorify God and no longer be slaves. The chains are gone!
If you belong to Christ, know that you are corporately owned. "We are Christ’s.”
Have you ever visited a model home? The Church is a kind of model home, a preview house of what the rule of Christ should look like, a sample of what will be. Our doors should be open to invite future residents to Christ. We are not isolated survivalists who hoard for the apocalypse of the end times, but a local version of the new city within the old city.
“Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, ‘The kingdom of God does not come with observation; ‘ nor will they say, “See here!” or “See there!” For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you." (Lk 17:20-21).
The land is already His, so in this model home we live a lifestyle as citizens of the heavenly city that one day will come. We do not abandon our jobs or desert the city that is; rather, we are to 'seek the peace and prosperity of the city' to which God called us in exile (Jer. 29:7). Our business should be that the Church becomes as large as the development tracts.
Jesus is our owner, which underscores His Divine Position (from John’s Gospel):
If you belong to Christ, know that you are individually owned. “He is Christ’s.” Twice in his previous letter, Paul reminds the Corinthians of being “bought at a price” and with that purchase we are free to glorify God and no longer be slaves. The chains are gone!
If you belong to Christ, know that you are corporately owned. "We are Christ’s.”
Have you ever visited a model home? The Church is a kind of model home, a preview house of what the rule of Christ should look like, a sample of what will be. Our doors should be open to invite future residents to Christ. We are not isolated survivalists who hoard for the apocalypse of the end times, but a local version of the new city within the old city.
“Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, ‘The kingdom of God does not come with observation; ‘ nor will they say, “See here!” or “See there!” For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you." (Lk 17:20-21).
The land is already His, so in this model home we live a lifestyle as citizens of the heavenly city that one day will come. We do not abandon our jobs or desert the city that is; rather, we are to 'seek the peace and prosperity of the city' to which God called us in exile (Jer. 29:7). Our business should be that the Church becomes as large as the development tracts.
Jesus is our owner, which underscores His Divine Position (from John’s Gospel):
- “The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand.”(3:35)
- “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.” (16:15)
- “and all things that are Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine; and I have been glorified in them.” (17:10)
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...