Favorite books, stories and movies (some books have been filmed):
- “The Revenant”
- “Lone Survivor”
- “To Build A Fire”
- “Into The Wild”
- “Never Cry Wolf”
- “Robinson Crusoe”
- “Alone” by Rear Admiral Richard Byrd
- “Island Of The Blue Dolphins”
- Anything about Mount Everest
My fitness journey has shown me that I am capable of much more than I’ve ever imagined and when I read of men and women who push themselves because they have no choice (or maybe they do), I am inspired to go further, faster, harder, longer. I’m just an old fat guy, but guess what--what started as 15 minutes of walking (what, 5 years go) has ended up becoming
- Daily CrossFit WOD’s (on my own--I don’t belong to a box but ht to my TCB CrossFit family)
- A few 5k's (which are now part of my regular training)
- two Marine Corp Ultimate Challenge Mud Runs (6 miles and 36 obstacles)
- 8 weeks of SEALFit.
- Climbed the highest mountain on the Eastern Seaboard. Twice.
I train with a mission that takes me to a boundary of one kind or another. I test myself. My workout is my training ground. Some days it is all physical, some days I have to work harder mentally. Other days, the emotional side gets a session. Everything gets worked because not every workout is fun (“If it were fun, you’re not trying hard enough.” Shut up, coach). Because sometimes the things life throws at you is not fun.
So I’m inspired by people who, at the limit live or die trying.