Inspired To Live, Or Die Trying

People who inspire me are the ones who stand on the border of their existence and whether they live or die, still find a way to triumph in their adversity. These people are both fictional or nonfictional, real and imagined.

Favorite books, stories and movies (some books have been filmed):
  • “The Revenant”
  • “Lone Survivor” 
  • “Castaway” 
  • “To Build A Fire” 
  • “Into The Wild”
  • “Never Cry Wolf”
  • “Robinson Crusoe” 
  • “Alone” by Rear Admiral Richard Byrd
  • “Island Of The Blue Dolphins” 
  • "K2"
  • Anything about Mount Everest 
These people prove there is more to life than “arriving.” It’s the journey. There is something about digging in, getting a firm grasp and refusing to let go.

My fitness journey has shown me that I am capable of much more than I’ve ever imagined and when I read of men and women who push themselves because they have no choice (or maybe they do), I am inspired to go further, faster, harder, longer. I’m just an old fat guy, but guess what--what started as 15 minutes of walking (what, 5 years go) has ended up becoming 
  • Daily CrossFit WOD’s (on my own--I don’t belong to a box but ht to my TCB CrossFit family)
  • A few 5k's (which are now part of my regular training)
  • two Marine Corp Ultimate Challenge Mud Runs (6 miles and 36 obstacles) 
  • 8 weeks of SEALFit. 
  • Climbed the highest mountain on the Eastern Seaboard. Twice. 
Never saw any of that coming because I never pushed myself. 

I train with a mission that takes me to a boundary of one kind or another. I test myself. My workout is my training ground. Some days it is all physical, some days I have to work harder mentally. Other days, the emotional side gets a session. Everything gets worked because not every workout is fun (“If it were fun, you’re not trying hard enough.” Shut up, coach). Because sometimes the things life throws at you is not fun.

So I’m inspired by people who, at the limit live or die trying.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception