malis mala succedunt
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
"troubles are followed by troubles."
"If you’re only prepared for a few, isolated and tiny things to go wrong, you’re going to be rudely surprised by how often difficulties come in pairs or triplets or entire litters. If you think life is going to be one lucky break after another, you’re going to be rudely surprised when, to quote Seneca, fortune decides to behave exactly as she pleases." (Ryan Holiday)
In Japanese, they say, “when crying, stung by bee.” The point of these expressions is to capture an unfortunate reality of life: that what can go wrong will… and often all at the same time.
So during this COVID-19 quarantine, things are just that.
- I've lost my job after 19 years
- I am no longer a doctoral student.
- The State has removed our niece from our home after yet another suicide attempt and has put us in a horrible position. Good thing we have friends and documentation of her history.
- Stay-at-home orders are in effect.
We can't control the storm but we can control how we respond to it.
Yes, I mourn a little every day, but only when I'm not busy and start dwelling on what I can't control or change.
- God has me in a place where I have nothing or nobody to depend on but Him.
- I can now update my resume and my office is clean.
- I know who my real friends are (trouble has a way of sifting people).
- My wife can still finish her degree online.
- Niece is now getting the help we've been trying to get for months and months and months.
Disarm trouble by preparing your mind beforehand so when it comes, you are ready. Just don't make it worse by doing something stupid.
The world is a different place.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
Three New Additions To My Desk
Rock Me, Epictetus!
The Smooth-flowing Life
Legend has it that the astronomer Ptolemy (1st century A.D.) suggested that falling stars were caused by the gods moving in the heavens, thus knocking stars out of their places. Somehow people reasoned that that if the gods were moving, they must be getting close to earth so they would lift their "prayers" or "wishes" (literally, "desires") whenever they saw the stars falling in hopes the gods would notice and grant a favorable answer. But how does one wish on falling star? Once you see it, it's gone before the wish or prayer can be made! The answer is simple: meteor shower. That's how to get your wish. Mrs. Ann Hodges had a wish fall right into her lap. Sort of. In 1954 Mrs. Hodges was sleeping on the couch when a 8 1/2 pound meteorite fell through her house and into her living room where it bounced off the radio and struck her left hip leaving her with a bruise. Not sure what she was wishing, but that's not how to do it. Epictetus hel...