HEAD(hed), (n.) 1. the top part of the human body or the front part of an animal where the eyes, nose, east and mouth are. "Your brain is in your head." DIBS(dibz), (n.) 2. a thick, sweet syrup made in countries of the East, especially the Middle East, from grape juice or dates. [Arabic "debs"]--World Book Dictionary, 1976.
I’ve been spending the last few months on something I’ve always wanted to do: write a book. I’m using every possible moment on this project and it’s really coming along. I am currently 7 chapters completed out of a potential 20. However, given the source material, each chapter is just a little bit longer than the previous. So who knows when I’ll be finished. I’m learning so much tho!
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Kyrie Eleison
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
Where were you on January 1, 1985? It's a far reach back, but that's the date this song was released:
"Kyrie" (or in the Greek, Κύριε, from Κύριος) means "Lord," so the phrase means "Lord have mercy." The phrase harkens back to prayers in the 1st Century, A.D.
The song came back to my memory while shopping, as I reflecting on the recent changes in our lives. And the song seemed fitting.
First, I started work last week at a True Value Hardware store. The short version is that I am being groomed to be assistant manager of the that location (in workload, but not in title). Things are moving quickly there. Of course, it's a far cry from what I was doing before, at least I'm working. I lost 6 pound the first week, so that's a thing too.
Second, just before I started my new job, I got a tick bite. I am presently resting and waiting for test results for Lyme disease, although symptoms are now leaning more toward Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Regardless, the treatment is the same and I've started those antibiotics. It's things like this that keep our fragile, mortal humanity before our eyes.
So one can see now how the song might bring a level of remembering and contemplation at this time.
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...