Birthdays

The first birthday party I remember was when I turned six. I remember there were kids everywhere playing on the backyard jungle gym. Of course this was long before jungle gyms were made with the same kind of safety measures as today so it’s a wonder than any of us survived. 


The party was on our covered back porch, and I distinctly remember the large rectangular birthday cake. There was a cowboy on it with big brown boots. Moms in their beehive hairdo’s shepherded children through party games while dads talked, supervising. All we wanted was the cake.


Being that my birthday is in mid May we had plenty of grass to play on under the large, shady oak. I don’t remember if there were any specific games although I do remember presents. Part of me wants to remember that I had gotten a record player for my birthday but I’m not 100% sure. The most important thing I remember were friends, family, and laughter. Those are what make the best birthday.


(Artwork created by AI)

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Welcome, May!