Ancient-cart Problems

Long before Insta-cart and associated problems, there were Ancient-cart problems. Around 55 BC, Cicero sent a friend to buy statues one might see at a gymnasium (athletes) and some paintings. Cicero gets a bill indicating that his friend overspent the budget. On what? Further investigation reveals, well. . . Here are excerpts from a letter: 


“But, my dear Gallus, everything would have been easy, if you had bought the things I wanted, and only up to the price that I wished. . . I fully understand that you have displayed zeal and affection in purchasing (because you thought them worthy of me) things which pleased yourself. . . for there is absolutely none of those purchases that I care to have. But you, being unacquainted with my habits, have bought four or five of your selection at a price at which I do not value any statues in the world. . . . To begin with, I should never have considered the Muses worth all that money . . . But Bacchæ! What place is there in my house for them? But you will say, they are pretty. I know them very well and have often seen them. I would have commissioned you definitely in the case of statues known to me, if I had decided on them. . . . What, again, have I, the promoter of peace, to do with a statue of Mars? I am glad there was not a statue of Saturn also: for I should have thought these two statues had brought me debt! I should have preferred some representation of Mercury: I might then, I suppose, have made a more favourable bargain with Arrianus. You say you meant the table—stand for yourself; well, if you like it, keep it.” 


The paintings could not be found. Solomon was right: there is nothing new under the sun.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Welcome, May!