Playtime!

Image
I just love this picture: boy and plane, off the ground.

Ballad of the Unborn

My shining feet will never run on early morning lawn;
My feet were crushed before they had a chance to greet the dawn.

My fingers now will never stretch to touch the winning tape;
My race was done before I learned the smallest steps to take.

My growing height will never be recorded on the wall;
My growth was stopped when I was still unseen, and very small.

My lips and tongue will never taste the good fruits of the earth;
For I myself was judged to be a fruit of little worth.

My eyes will never scan the sky for my high—flying kite;
For when still blind, destroyed were they in the black womb of night.

I’ll never stand upon a hill, Spring’s winds in my hair;
Aborted winds of thought closed in on Motherhood’s despair.

I’ll never walk the shores of life or know the tides of time;
For I was coming but unloved, and that my only crime.

Nameless am I, a grain of sand, one of the countless dead;
But the deed that made me ashen grey floats on seas of red.

(Fay Clayton, Christian Crusade Weekly, January 13, 1976)

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Finished Reading: Edward The Second