Welcome, May!

Image
The past few weeks have been stressful. Training new employees, dealing with difficult customers, not sleeping well, not exercising (I’ve gained 20 pounds in the last two years), getting through family drama (two life-threatening events in the same day, 2000 miles apart: my dad’s heart attack in NM and a 9 year grandchild starting the rest of his life with Type 1 Diabetes) . . .  My CrossFit lifestyle withered into oblivion when I lost my job at the University in 2020, as Covid got going. Deep depression brought me to a standstill as I took a few months to try to reset. Since then, my physical status has been on steady decline. Now my daily schedule looks something like this: Work 3-11 pm (on a good day), Go to bed at 4 am, get up between 10:30 am and noon, get booted up and go back to work. If I get one day off a week I’m fortunate. At least I don’t have to work all night for now. That was the worst.  So I haven’t had time or energy to do much, even read, much less write. And since my

Constitution Day (Mexico)

Today Mexico observes "Dia de la Constitucion", marking the end of a long journey that began in 1810 when liberty was won from Spain. The current document called the “Constitution of Mexico” was not drafted or penned in one sitting, but is the result of many revisions that began over 200 years ago. 1824, Mexican sovereignty was established, patterned after the government of the United States. When the French seemed to threaten Mexican Independence in, another draft of the constitution was approved. 1916 was the year the 1857 draft was revised and a Magna Carta was produced this day in 1917.

That’s the hyper-short version. Longer versions include figures like Pancho Villa--and guns.

Many differing voices speak about “constitution,” and two ideas are not that far from each other. Constitution is a document that reflects what makes or defines an entity (in my own words). It’s what “makes us up.” What we are as people or a nation cannot simply “be” but must come at a price. A brief glance at Mexican history shows the road can be long just to produce a single document; but never miss the fact that a price must be paid to be set apart. Such a stance takes energy and conviction, a goal that must be reached at all costs.

Have you considered the kinds of law under which mankind lives? There are basically two different kinds, and only one points to freedom for all peoples.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Finished Reading: “De origine et situ Germanorum [On the Origin and Situation of the Germans]”