Waitangi Day (New Zealand)
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
“Waitangi Day is a public holiday held on 6 February every year to commemorate the signing of New Zealand's founding document - the Treaty of Waitangi - in 1840. The national holiday was first declared in 1974, and since then has grown in significance for all New Zealanders through the Māori renaissance that has fostered better understanding of the Treaty’s ramifications. Official celebrations are held at the Waitangi Treaty Grounds in the Bay of Islands, Northland, but there are also many other events throughout the country.” (from newzealand.com)
I know a New Zealander who like to describe his home as that vast country found off the coast of the small island known as Australia. The official languages are English and Maori though Samoan is also widely spoken among twenty other languages. 53% of the population identify themselves as Christian and 18% of those are evangelical.
As I’ve been reading about this day and the Maori people of New Zealand, one fact does not escape notice. “Maori” simply translated ranges in meaning, to include the concepts of “ordinary,” “natural,” and “normal.” The sense of the word also carries the implication of, “not divine”; that is, being distinguished from gods or spirits.
Perhaps this is over simplistic, but this is a good place to begin consideration for what it means to be human. One human is not above another though we are distinguished by geography, language and culture. We share the earth. On the other hand, there is one and only one who is fully human and fully divine and it is through His finished work we are united not simply as children of our Creator, but as children to our Father.
I know a New Zealander who like to describe his home as that vast country found off the coast of the small island known as Australia. The official languages are English and Maori though Samoan is also widely spoken among twenty other languages. 53% of the population identify themselves as Christian and 18% of those are evangelical.
As I’ve been reading about this day and the Maori people of New Zealand, one fact does not escape notice. “Maori” simply translated ranges in meaning, to include the concepts of “ordinary,” “natural,” and “normal.” The sense of the word also carries the implication of, “not divine”; that is, being distinguished from gods or spirits.
Perhaps this is over simplistic, but this is a good place to begin consideration for what it means to be human. One human is not above another though we are distinguished by geography, language and culture. We share the earth. On the other hand, there is one and only one who is fully human and fully divine and it is through His finished work we are united not simply as children of our Creator, but as children to our Father.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...