Addicted

 I started to make a list of “10 Things I Can’t Do Without” and realized, “gosh, that’s a lot!” I feel like a jerk. 

Then I think about what I’d like to work on or change and the list is already made! Except for eating and sleeping, nothing on my list is necessary for survival. Circumstances might demand missing one or more for a while, but my survival is not threatened without them.


Someone said that when a suggestion comes to mind, a wish or desire, acknowledging its presence is enough. Especially if it compromises virtue. You don’t need it. It is non-essential. Comforts and pleasures are mistaken as necessity. Besides, there are people who have much less than you do, right here in these United States. Everyday things, like water, food, clothes. 


On Friday afternoons through the window of my high school classroom, I watched families line up for their weekly water. When I visited Africa, I was shocked to learn the average monthly income was $50.00. The guy across the street from me has eight (8) cars. Eight! And might I add, “new.” And you know, he won’t give me the time of day, not even a wave “hello” from across the yard. I guess he can’t see me down here. 


The Stoics were right, make a practice of doing without. We are addicted to “feeling good” and that’s shallow.


(Image: Steve Martin, “The Jerk”)

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Welcome, May!