Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

America the Beautiful

Last night, while the band was playing and the choir was singing, my kids were marching in a Celebration of Liberty parade, I was in costume as one of the signers of the Constitution . . . while someone broke into our house. I can’t figure out if it happened between the song, “I’m Proud to Be an America (where at least I know I’m free)” or “God Bless America.” The break-in might have occurred when we all stood and expressed our gratitude for those in the Armed Forces and stood in remembrance of those who gave their lives for freedom. Freedom to do whatever we want?

The ironic thing is that whoever it was stole some of my wife’s jewelry, mostly costume stuff and really of no value, but a few precious pieces were certainly gone. The truly valuable stuff was not touched. They went through my stuff but did not touch any valuables, but they did make off with my PDA (with charger) and cell-phone. They went though my daughter’s jewelry box and made off with a few pieces and about $5.00 in change, but not our computers, TV or stereo. They certainly didn’t steal any tracts or Bibles (except the one on my PDA—maybe they’ll read some of my sermons and return some of my phone calls. Will they keep my appointments?). I’m sure they didn’t have to look hard to see stacks of tracts with things like, “REPENT” printed all over them.

Maybe they broke in during our scene where we “signed” the Constitution to help establish American freedoms. Freedoms that mean "American".

They used my cell-phone and called somebody named “Gail”. I know this because my brilliant wife checked my messages this morning. Gail called “whoever” on my cell-phone and left a message . . . with a call-back number. I really want to call her back and give her the “good person” test . . .

Maybe the break-in happened around 6:30, when the sun was still bright and making amber the waves of grain . . . about the time we were eating grilled hamburgers at church, talking about how exciting it is to see the 3000 red-white and blue flags and ribbons, and how the roof just lifts with everyone singing “I’m Just A Flag-waving American!”

Maybe they needed money for beer and fireworks . . .

I wish I’d left some Million Dollar Bills laying around the house.

Freedom. It's not about what you want to do, but as you ought.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception