How To Receive Counsel

Thanks to The Old Paths:

A pastor had just concluded family worship, and was in his study reading a portion of the works of Archbishop Leighton, when he was called down to see a visitor. Descending to the parlour, he found Mr. G. standing before the mirror, with his hat in one hand…As they met, the young man with a confident air, said, “Mr. P., I have called to converse with you about your sermon last Sabbath.”

“I am glad to see you,” said the pastor mildly; “be seated, and tell me your wishes.”
“Well, sir, you insisted upon repentance and faith as first duties. I was not entirely satisfied with your reasoning. I have some points of difficulty which embarrass me. Perhaps you can so explain them as to relieve me.”

Mr. G. then proceeded to state his difficulties, not in the clearest terms, but in a manner that exhibited some forethought and contrivance. They were certain metaphysical questions which have been a thousand times answered to the satisfaction of all honest minds, but which have been continually the pretexts for impenitence and unbelief.

The pastor heard him patiently, and when he had finished, inquired, “Mr. G., are you prepared for death and the final judgment?”

“I cannot say that I am,” was the reply.

The pastor remained silent for a short time, and then said, “Let us pray.” With this he knelt, and presented the case before God, including all the difficulties suggested, and the concession which had been made, and invoked the power of the Holy Spirit to open the man’s eyes and show him his ruined condition. The prayer was fervent, solemn, and earnest.

Mr. G. retired rather abruptly, and afterwards complained to his friends that the pastor evaded all argument, and resorted to prayer as a subterfuge. But that prayer was more effectual than controversy. The man was deeply disturbed, and found no rest until, as a penitent sinner, he threw himself before the mercy-seat, and sought forgiveness through the mediation of Christ. About three weeks afterwards he called again to see his pastor, and confessed that his motives in seeking the former interview were wrong, and that he had wickedly misrepresented the treatment of his case.

In a letter to his pastor he says, “I was much displeased with your sermon, because I felt it to be true, and I called upon you, hoping by discussion to perplex you, and thus ease my own conscience. I was vexed to find that you understood me, and therefore took me to the throne of grace, the very last place where I wished to go. After such a prayer, I could not enter into argument. I saw that the real difficulty was between my own soul and God. I hated myself, and you too, and for several days behaved like a madman. But the Holy Spirit triumphed, and I am a brand plucked out of the fire. Oh, that prayer! I shall never forget it, nor him who offered it.”

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception