Anticipating Christmas
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Ready for
Christmas? When we were school children, we looked forward to being out of
school and getting presents. Now we are grown and we groan, looking forward to
time off of work—not much, but any amount is deeply anticipated. But really,
why are you looking forward to Christmas?
If we like Mary ponder things like this in our hearts, we may need to step away from Christmas (as it were)—away from the noise, Noise, NOISE so that we can intentionally hear and see from God what He was accomplishing by His birth, death and resurrection.
I am looking forward to Christmas so God can reflect His glory through me.
Most of us
readily vocalize the Christo-centricity of the holiday, but why long for this
particular day? Is it because of a memory, a smell, feel, sound, or sight? Is
it because we like to see Ralphie in that pink bunny suit all day long?
Fa-ra-ra-ra-ra ra-ra ra-ra!
Sure we love to
hear Linus recite, but we are so familiar with the events in Bethlehem that
unlike Mary, we do not ponder these things in our heart. When was the last time
we stopped everything in order to truly understand? Instead of rockin’ around the
Christmas tree, how about a quiet “sit and think” about Christmas for a while?
Why did God step into time and space as a helpless infant in a village so
obscure that even the gospel writers had to identify it for their readers?
Start
here: “but made himself nothing, taking the form of a
servant, being born in the likeness of men.” (Phil 2:7) You know that
already? Slow down and think. Why did He do this? The clues are found in the
next few verses:
- Clue #1: verse 8—to die on a cross;
- Clue #2: verse 11—to glorify God the Father.
- Clue #3: verse 12, notice the first word. “Therefore.” This means means that Jesus was born in order to give us God’s glory to shine in the world. See verse 15.
If we like Mary ponder things like this in our hearts, we may need to step away from Christmas (as it were)—away from the noise, Noise, NOISE so that we can intentionally hear and see from God what He was accomplishing by His birth, death and resurrection.
I am looking forward to Christmas so God can reflect His glory through me.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...