The Most Dangerous Word
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I once met a man on the street who in the course of
our conversation made a point to say that words have no meaning and are without
power. I told him I did not understand. He explained, completely missing his
point.
Martin Luther knew the power of words. His famous “Mighty Fortress” contains one little word that we to this day still strive to grasp exactly that which fells the prince of darkness grim. Regardless, whatever the word is, it abides above all earthly pow’rs (no thanks to them). Yes, one word sends us reeling.
Consider “on” and “off” or “hot” and “cold.” Indeed, words are powerful, meaningful.
Have you ever pondered the most dangerous word? Martin Luther’s word is the word of victory, the word that leads to life. Our word is the opposite. It is the most perilous.
Some words can kill a conversation, or suck the breath right out of someone’s chest. Present discussions center on “Bullying” and “President.” What about “Death” or “Poverty” or “Revenge?”
Deceitfulness?
Why is “Immorality” or “Fornication” or “Adultery” put in separate a category from “Homosexuality?”
How is “Hate” not “Murder?”
What about “Tomorrow?” You know, that thing which creeps in its petty pace from day to day . . .
This is the most dangerous word and we understand how powerful it is. Let me illustrate:
If someone is choking, we don’t act, “Tomorrow.” Instead we move, “NOW!”
When the gas light comes on, we don’t keep driving and say, “Tomorrow.” Hardly! Most start looking to fill up “Yesterday.”
Yes, “Tomorrow” is most dangerous. When God speaks and says “Today if you hear His voice do not harden your hearts . . .” why wait?
Martin Luther knew the power of words. His famous “Mighty Fortress” contains one little word that we to this day still strive to grasp exactly that which fells the prince of darkness grim. Regardless, whatever the word is, it abides above all earthly pow’rs (no thanks to them). Yes, one word sends us reeling.
Consider “on” and “off” or “hot” and “cold.” Indeed, words are powerful, meaningful.
Have you ever pondered the most dangerous word? Martin Luther’s word is the word of victory, the word that leads to life. Our word is the opposite. It is the most perilous.
Some words can kill a conversation, or suck the breath right out of someone’s chest. Present discussions center on “Bullying” and “President.” What about “Death” or “Poverty” or “Revenge?”
Deceitfulness?
Why is “Immorality” or “Fornication” or “Adultery” put in separate a category from “Homosexuality?”
How is “Hate” not “Murder?”
What about “Tomorrow?” You know, that thing which creeps in its petty pace from day to day . . .
This is the most dangerous word and we understand how powerful it is. Let me illustrate:
If someone is choking, we don’t act, “Tomorrow.” Instead we move, “NOW!”
When the gas light comes on, we don’t keep driving and say, “Tomorrow.” Hardly! Most start looking to fill up “Yesterday.”
Yes, “Tomorrow” is most dangerous. When God speaks and says “Today if you hear His voice do not harden your hearts . . .” why wait?
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...