The Forgiveness Factor (part 7): The Fragrance Of Forgiveness In The Gospel
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
If you had to lose one of your five senses, which would you choose? You can always close your eyes if you don’t want to see something and you can plug your ears if you don’t want to hear--but you can’t escape smell. Sure, you can hold your nose (or breath), but you must breathe--and when you do, every odor comes wafting in. If you did not smell, you could not taste. You might not even remember, as smells connect us with times and places. You can see, even hear from a distance, but smell requires close proximity--unless you’re a vulture.
When I finish a long distance run, or a grueling training session outside, one might find me lying flat on my back in exhaustion. There have been times when laying on the ground, I look up in the sky and see buzzards checking me out, but they don’t mess with me because I smell alive. I may look dead, I may even feel dead, but those buzzards, who live by death, can tell the difference. Honestly, I am just troubled that they show up at all . . .
To those saved from sin, the gospel smells like life (2 Corinthians 2:14–15, 16b). Scripture connects prayer with incense and God calls us to make our lives a fragrant aroma. We do this by carrying the odor of Christ to others. His very name “Christ” carries with it the memory of sacred smell. “Christ” is Greek for “the Anointed One” connecting Him with the sweet fragrance of the anointing oil of sacred worship. Because of this, when we carry Christ with us, we smell like Christ. What does Christ smell like? The smell of life is smell of holiness. When we extend forgiveness to others, like Christ did for us, we spread the fragrance.
To those who remain unforgiven, who will not repent, the gospel smells like death (2:16a). Ever notice how things change when people around you “catch wind” that you’re a Christian? The world can’t figure us out, yet “watch your language around pastor” or “You can’t do THAT when she’s around.”
Being a Christian does not mean you can’t have pleasure or have fun. Do all to the glory of God! Do everything properly and in good order, enjoying Him as you do it! But that’s the catch--the lost want nothing to do with God, so they can’t enjoy anything to His glory. The world is it’s own buzz-kill.
When I finish a long distance run, or a grueling training session outside, one might find me lying flat on my back in exhaustion. There have been times when laying on the ground, I look up in the sky and see buzzards checking me out, but they don’t mess with me because I smell alive. I may look dead, I may even feel dead, but those buzzards, who live by death, can tell the difference. Honestly, I am just troubled that they show up at all . . .
To those saved from sin, the gospel smells like life (2 Corinthians 2:14–15, 16b). Scripture connects prayer with incense and God calls us to make our lives a fragrant aroma. We do this by carrying the odor of Christ to others. His very name “Christ” carries with it the memory of sacred smell. “Christ” is Greek for “the Anointed One” connecting Him with the sweet fragrance of the anointing oil of sacred worship. Because of this, when we carry Christ with us, we smell like Christ. What does Christ smell like? The smell of life is smell of holiness. When we extend forgiveness to others, like Christ did for us, we spread the fragrance.
To those who remain unforgiven, who will not repent, the gospel smells like death (2:16a). Ever notice how things change when people around you “catch wind” that you’re a Christian? The world can’t figure us out, yet “watch your language around pastor” or “You can’t do THAT when she’s around.”
Being a Christian does not mean you can’t have pleasure or have fun. Do all to the glory of God! Do everything properly and in good order, enjoying Him as you do it! But that’s the catch--the lost want nothing to do with God, so they can’t enjoy anything to His glory. The world is it’s own buzz-kill.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...