Happy Breakfast Club Day!

Image
It was actually yesterday, but you know how these calendars work.  Things to do today: 1) ponder the error of your ways; 2) take a moment to dance a little; 3) have a snack; 4) enjoy a makeover (if applicable); 5) be specific when describing the ruckus. 6) Don’t forget about me.

Shared Knowledge

"Cleanthes could not have been the express image of Zeno, if he had merely heard his lectures; he shared in his life, saw into his hidden purposes, and watched him to see whether he lived according to his own rules. Plato, Aristotle, and the whole throng of sages who were destined to go each his different way, derived more benefit from the character than from the words of Socrates. It was not the class-room of Epicurus, but living together under the same roof, that made great men of Metrodorus, Hermarchus, and Polyaenus. Therefore I summon you, not merely that you may derive benefit, but that you may confer benefit; for we can assist each other greatly." (Seneca, Moral Letters 6 "On Sharing Knowledge")

A number of years back I was challenged to find a mentor, someone with experience to guide and counsel, to train and advise me in my life's journey. I could have hired a life coach but that relationship is merely a business relationship where the other person profits whether I succeed or fail. It did not and does not make sense to invest in a person who only sees me as a client. "Time's up, friendship's over! Gain more friendship with more dollars now! 10, 9, 8, 7 . . . "

Taking inventory of those who surrounded me, I kept coming up short. I did not feel comfortable being transparent with anyone nor did I feel I could ask them to give time that I myself was struggling to find. So I prayed and I waited and time went by. I picked up tid-bits here and there, but still was not connected to anyone. 

After years of waiting I can say that I've found in the classical philosophers the man and men I've been searching for. Reading them I hear the voices of fathers, the prayers of weak men, the shouts of warriors, the embrace of friends, the words of wisdom. I read the Slave (Epictetus), and the men he influenced: the Senator (Seneca) and the Emperor (Marcus Aurelius). I read the King (David) and his son who prayed to have the wisdom to rule (Solomon). I find transparent men who failed miserably and finished gloriously. And they don't cost me anything except the time I spend to sit at their feet, to read, listen and think.

“This advice from Epicurean writings: 'To think continually of one of the men of old who lived a virtuous life.'” (Marcus Aurelius)

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Finished Reading: “An Essay Concerning the True Original Extent and End of Civil Government.”