Virtuous Living


Across the front of my rolltop desk, in front of pictures of my mother and step-mother and a sundry other items, one finds eight medallions on display. The first medallion is the "keystone", if you will, that unlocks the meaning of the other seven. These days of uncertainty and upheaval, both personally and worldwide, have driven me to meditate on that first medallion. It reminds me that when one acts according to wisdom (truth), one is emboldened with courage and self-control to do what is right (justice).

It is not my intent to debate the number of virtues or begin some deep discussion of ethics or the nature of "good." I intend to stress that living in pursuit of these four virtues while job hunting, while grandbaby sitting, while thinking as I mow the lawn, as I try to maintain the six-foot rule at Walmart, good occurs and I am content and find peace.


One would be hard-pressed to find anything better than wisdom (truth), self-control, courage and justice--but if one finds anything better, then abandon these and follow that.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception