"Why should I believe what's written in the Bible? How do I know it's not lies [presumably] like all the other holy books out there?”
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
[I received this question via e-mail the other day.]
This is a great question that can be answered on many levels. The most simplistic is to consider the thread of continuity, or major theme that runs through the Bible. Do you know what it is? Death. The Old Testament shows not only where it came from, but from the very beginning records how God promises to destroy it. The New Testament tells how He did it. “Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned . . . For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many.” (Romans 5:12, 15)
Consider how science is either corrected by scripture or confirms what the Bible has always contained (the earth is flat vs. the earth is a sphere (Isaiah 40:22); the earth sits on a large animal vs. the earth free-floats in space (Job 26:7); sick people must be bled vs. blood is the source of life and health (Leviticus 17:11); the ocean floor was flat vs. the ocean floor contains deep valleys and mountains (2 Samuel 22:16; Jonah 2:6); hands washed in still water vs. hands washed in running water (Leviticus 15:14).
The historical accuracy of scripture is unmatched, and archeology has and still is confirming the people, places and events.
One of the strongest proofs that you know the Bible is reliable is your own conscience. “Conscience” means “with knowledge.” Let me show you what I mean: would you consider yourself to be a “Good Person?”
I look forward to your reply!
This is a great question that can be answered on many levels. The most simplistic is to consider the thread of continuity, or major theme that runs through the Bible. Do you know what it is? Death. The Old Testament shows not only where it came from, but from the very beginning records how God promises to destroy it. The New Testament tells how He did it. “Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned . . . For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many.” (Romans 5:12, 15)
Consider how science is either corrected by scripture or confirms what the Bible has always contained (the earth is flat vs. the earth is a sphere (Isaiah 40:22); the earth sits on a large animal vs. the earth free-floats in space (Job 26:7); sick people must be bled vs. blood is the source of life and health (Leviticus 17:11); the ocean floor was flat vs. the ocean floor contains deep valleys and mountains (2 Samuel 22:16; Jonah 2:6); hands washed in still water vs. hands washed in running water (Leviticus 15:14).
The historical accuracy of scripture is unmatched, and archeology has and still is confirming the people, places and events.
One of the strongest proofs that you know the Bible is reliable is your own conscience. “Conscience” means “with knowledge.” Let me show you what I mean: would you consider yourself to be a “Good Person?”
I look forward to your reply!
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...