"I Want To Trust Jesus With All My Heart, but How?"
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
A reader from the Philippines wrote me with the following: "I have not prayed to receive Christ and I would like to investigate more. I want to trust Jesus with all my heart but How?" I post my reply here for your encouragement as you talk with others about Jesus.
Thank you for writing with such an excellent question. I will not only answer your question, but I will also tell you God’s will for your life. First, let’s look at what God says about the heart in the Bible: “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.” (Jeremiah 17:9-10). How do we trust Him who is Perfect with something He says is deceitful and sick?
Think for a moment about what is in your heart. We can do this by looking at God’s perfect standard (the Ten Commandments) which acts like a mirror to help us see what He sees—here are a few:
1) How many lies do you think you’ve told?
2) Have you ever hated anyone, or gotten so angry with someone that you wished they were dead?
3) Have you ever looked with lust?
4) Have you always your entire life loved God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength?
We have all lied, and that makes us liars. God’s law says that hatred is murder, and that looking with lust is adultery. God also says that no person seeks after Him with his or her heart (and God does not lie). We must stand before Him on Judgment Day and receive what is coming to us because of our sin, which is eternal death. (Romans 6:23)
Now, here’s the good news: God Himself stepped into time and space in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ. He kept all of God’s law and was perfect, yet, He died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins and He came back to life from the grave after three days!
Second, I said I would tell you God’s will for your life, and here it is directly from the Bible: “The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing that any should perish but for all to come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9) God’s will is that you see the sin in your heart and desire to be clean from sin. God does not want you to die in your sin, but see how Jesus’ death on the cross delivers you from the penalty and power of sin, if you will only confess that you are a sinner and desire to have new life in Christ Jesus. We trust Him because He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).
Read Psalm 51, and please write me back when you have further questions!
Thank you for writing with such an excellent question. I will not only answer your question, but I will also tell you God’s will for your life. First, let’s look at what God says about the heart in the Bible: “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.” (Jeremiah 17:9-10). How do we trust Him who is Perfect with something He says is deceitful and sick?
Think for a moment about what is in your heart. We can do this by looking at God’s perfect standard (the Ten Commandments) which acts like a mirror to help us see what He sees—here are a few:
1) How many lies do you think you’ve told?
2) Have you ever hated anyone, or gotten so angry with someone that you wished they were dead?
3) Have you ever looked with lust?
4) Have you always your entire life loved God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength?
We have all lied, and that makes us liars. God’s law says that hatred is murder, and that looking with lust is adultery. God also says that no person seeks after Him with his or her heart (and God does not lie). We must stand before Him on Judgment Day and receive what is coming to us because of our sin, which is eternal death. (Romans 6:23)
Now, here’s the good news: God Himself stepped into time and space in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ. He kept all of God’s law and was perfect, yet, He died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins and He came back to life from the grave after three days!
Second, I said I would tell you God’s will for your life, and here it is directly from the Bible: “The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing that any should perish but for all to come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9) God’s will is that you see the sin in your heart and desire to be clean from sin. God does not want you to die in your sin, but see how Jesus’ death on the cross delivers you from the penalty and power of sin, if you will only confess that you are a sinner and desire to have new life in Christ Jesus. We trust Him because He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).
Read Psalm 51, and please write me back when you have further questions!
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...