Is Jesus a Prophet?
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Someone from the Philippines wrote and asked [only spelling errors have been corrected], “One day, I told them about Christ but they don't believe. They ask me ‘Jesus is a prophet. Allah sent Him to us but He is not a prophet because He prayed to the God of Heaven like us. Why do you worship Him?’ What would be the answer?”
First I would ask, “You say first, ‘Jesus is a prophet,’ then you say ‘He is not a prophet.’ What do you mean by ‘prophet’? How can He be a prophet and not be a prophet?” Islam teaches that Jesus is both “nabi” (prophet) and “rasul” (messenger). The Prophet Moses wrote, “The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your countrymen, you shall listen to him.” (Deuteronomy 18:15) Jesus is the prophet of whom Moses spoke.
Jesus is the greatest of the prophets, many of whom go unnamed in Islam. Without these prophets, most of the scriptures we call the Old Testament would be missing. Praise God that no one is greater than He, who does not allow His Word to be changed! Jesus’ teachings not only cover a wide range of subjects but contain more prophetic messages than the writings of all previous prophets! His teachings came from God.
Jesus clearly revealed God through His words and His works. The Injil records Him as the eternal source of knowledge, truth, wisdom and light. We worship Him because He revealed God. He is the servant of God, the son of David, the son of man, the Lord, the Savior, the new Adam, our mediator, our payment, our high priest. The Prophet Isaiah called Him “Immanuel, which means, ‘God With Us.’”
Second, I would ask, “The Quran teaches to read the books that came before (Surah 10:94), so of whom was the Prophet David writing in the Zabbur, Psalm 22? Of whom did the Prophet Isaiah write in Isaiah 53?”
First I would ask, “You say first, ‘Jesus is a prophet,’ then you say ‘He is not a prophet.’ What do you mean by ‘prophet’? How can He be a prophet and not be a prophet?” Islam teaches that Jesus is both “nabi” (prophet) and “rasul” (messenger). The Prophet Moses wrote, “The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your countrymen, you shall listen to him.” (Deuteronomy 18:15) Jesus is the prophet of whom Moses spoke.
Jesus is the greatest of the prophets, many of whom go unnamed in Islam. Without these prophets, most of the scriptures we call the Old Testament would be missing. Praise God that no one is greater than He, who does not allow His Word to be changed! Jesus’ teachings not only cover a wide range of subjects but contain more prophetic messages than the writings of all previous prophets! His teachings came from God.
Jesus clearly revealed God through His words and His works. The Injil records Him as the eternal source of knowledge, truth, wisdom and light. We worship Him because He revealed God. He is the servant of God, the son of David, the son of man, the Lord, the Savior, the new Adam, our mediator, our payment, our high priest. The Prophet Isaiah called Him “Immanuel, which means, ‘God With Us.’”
Second, I would ask, “The Quran teaches to read the books that came before (Surah 10:94), so of whom was the Prophet David writing in the Zabbur, Psalm 22? Of whom did the Prophet Isaiah write in Isaiah 53?”
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...