Playtime!

Image
I just love this picture: boy and plane, off the ground.

"Florence" Day

"It’s something like going on an ocean voyage. What can I do? Pick the captain, the boat, the date, and the best time to sail. But then a storm hits… What are my options? I do the only thing I am in a position to do . . ." (Epictetus, Discourses)

"Today I escaped from anxiety. Or no, I discarded it, because it was within me, in my own perceptions — not outside." (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations)

Tropical Storm Florence finally arrived in our neighborhood in the pre-dawn hours this morning. Power went out around 6 a.m. and was restored a couple hours later. It's currently windy and raining but not in the strong ways possible--the forecast says that's still to come. 

The two quotes (above) capture my thoughts regarding our immediate situation and I can't help but recall the other hurricanes that have blown through in years past. When the power went out this morning, I did the only thing I was in position to do . . . I went back to bed. A storm is a storm and will do what it will do. What will anxiety do for the storm? 

A tree fell in a friend's yard. His response? Gratitude. "I ain't even mad" he said. Why? Come Fall, he'll have fewer leaves to rake. Another friend composed, arranged and recorded an album during last year's hurricane and this year, he's still practicing and recording. One of our daughters baked an array of muffins at her house. Leslie is doing homework, some housework and I am reading, writing, exercising and keeping an eye on things. If something breaks, we'll fix it. 

Batteries are on-hand, phones are staying charged. Back-up chargers are on stand-by. Solar charger is available. Water is stored. Dry goods are ready to be used, if necessary. 

Jesus slept in the boat while the storm raged. He wasn't anxious because He was already in control. As far as we're concerned, the wind's gonna blow and the rain's gonna fall. I have better things to do than be anxious. 

Besides, storms are fascinating. They smell different with all the nutrients they bring in the rain. The wind prunes and clears out dead fall from the trees. Lakes, streams, even the ocean gets stirred up and junk (natural or man-made) gets flushed out. Nature is doing what nature was designed to do. 

Special thanks to First Responders, Fairfield Electric and others who are out working in this weather. 

"Floods will rob us of one thing, fire of another. These are conditions of our existence which we cannot change. What we can do is adopt a noble spirit, such a spirit as befits a good person, so that we may bear up bravely under all that fortune sends us and bring our wills into tune with nature’s." (Seneca, Letters from a Stoic)

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception