The Vigil
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
"Waiting for flame in the eye of night,
I am the fuel for your fire.
Light calls ever unto light,
Make me a fleshen pyre.
Touch my lips with the altering coal,
Leave Your shining upon my soul,
Zion shall ever be my goal,
Zion the city of light."
I am up pre-rooster to be shepherd and host to our non-resident Seminary students. These nights I do not sleep so well due to my excitement that they are here--these full-time missionaries, pastors and lay people from around the world come for two weeks of Intensive courses, then back home they go.
About 12:00 a.m. my 9 year old daughter was asking me her usual round of philosophical questions . . . who acts the best: this color person or that? We talked about the importance of people in God's eyes and that God does not see color. I brought her around to consider what Person, rather than kind of people, we should look to as our model. She brightly replied, "Jesus!"
About 4:00 this a.m. I was awakened by that same daughter for child-hood reasons and as I drifted back off to sleep for one more hour, was impressed by how Jesus models my very ministry to me, as shepherd and host--Psalm 23 came to mind as my model for ministry, especially over the next two weeks. Shepherd, to those who need to know the way and find comfort in it; host, to receive spiritual nourishment and walk away on FIRE for God!
"So Lord, [please] move, or move me," as the song says.
I am the fuel for your fire.
Light calls ever unto light,
Make me a fleshen pyre.
Touch my lips with the altering coal,
Leave Your shining upon my soul,
Zion shall ever be my goal,
Zion the city of light."
I am up pre-rooster to be shepherd and host to our non-resident Seminary students. These nights I do not sleep so well due to my excitement that they are here--these full-time missionaries, pastors and lay people from around the world come for two weeks of Intensive courses, then back home they go.
About 12:00 a.m. my 9 year old daughter was asking me her usual round of philosophical questions . . . who acts the best: this color person or that? We talked about the importance of people in God's eyes and that God does not see color. I brought her around to consider what Person, rather than kind of people, we should look to as our model. She brightly replied, "Jesus!"
About 4:00 this a.m. I was awakened by that same daughter for child-hood reasons and as I drifted back off to sleep for one more hour, was impressed by how Jesus models my very ministry to me, as shepherd and host--Psalm 23 came to mind as my model for ministry, especially over the next two weeks. Shepherd, to those who need to know the way and find comfort in it; host, to receive spiritual nourishment and walk away on FIRE for God!
"So Lord, [please] move, or move me," as the song says.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...