Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

got a prayer?

I recently read an article reprinted from a 1994 Leadership magazine called "Why people don't pray."

The writer's friend suggested an examination be done as to why people avoid devotions. He reports in the article four factors people "weigh" as they consider their embracing or resisting an activity (see if any of these is "you")"
People ask themselves:
1) Will it work for me?
2) Can I do it?
3) What's it worth for me?
4) Will it cost me?

The article began with this pastor confessing his sparse prayer life and Bible reading to a psychologist friend. My first thoughts as I read: confessing to a friend, that's one thing; but, confessing to a psychologist? Wincing at the thought of how easily people replace the Bible with human reason, I braced myself for the rest of the article.

The question is: why don't people pray?

Each of the considerations listed above do not answer the question, only makes the problem worse. People don't pray because it does not work for them. The mindset is to pray in order to get what you want--if you don't get it, why pray? So my question is: why SHOULD prayer work for YOU? If prayer is self-centered, of course it is not going to work for you. Prayer that works for you is prayer to yourself and that is idolatry.

People should pray because God works for His glory, not for the glory of the one who is praying. The question should be "Will prayer glorify God?" and the answer is "yes." "Will prayer glorify you?" the answer is "no."

The second question: "Can I do it?"
Do WHAT exactly? Pray? What kind of ridiculous question is that? How can one afford NOT to pray? If a person is stuggling with his self-efficacy he will ask this question--he is not surrendered to Christ's sufficiency. If one struggles just to pray, he is trying to live out Idolatry 3:16 in his own life ("God helps those who help themselves").

The third question: "What's it worth to me?"
If it does not work for you, if you can't do it yourself, then there is no worth. Should'nt the question be: "What is prayer worth to God?"

The last question: "What will it cost me?"
Would you believe me if I told you that the article writer actually encourages the reader to evaluate the cost (so far so good) and if it is too high, to lower the cost (WHAT?).

This is the most shocking thing I have read in a while. And it came from a Christian Leadership magazine! No wonder we have such shallow Christianity! People do not pray BECAUSE they answer these questions from the self-centered viewpoint. If it does not work, stop using it. If you get nothing out of it, go find something that will. If it has no worth, find something that does. If it the cost is high, go for the bargain.

People don't pray because they are satisfied with themselves. They are convinced they don't need God. This man confessed his prayerlessness to a psychologist who basically gave the writer a set of reasons to continue in his sin.

I am so grossed out.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Happy Valentines Day!