Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

New Year’s Resolutions.

Let them that love Him be like the sun when he goes forth in his might.” Judges 5:31

My prayer for this next year is that God would focus me. Right now I am too much a like a flashlight: a beam of variable brightness, sort of spread out, making some miniscule contribution to the sight of those who desire to see (self included). I would rather be a laser-beam. Focused. Intent. Piercing. To do this, I am asking God to focus me.

Before the technology, I suppose this was the same sort of thing on Nellie Talbot’s heart when she wrote that great Sunday School Song:

I will ask Jesus to help me
To keep my heart from sin,
Ever reflecting His goodness,
And always shine for Him.

A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam;
A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
I’ll be a sunbeam for Him.

Steven Sample’s book “The Contrarian’s Guide to Leadership” contains a chapter called “You are what you read,” wherein he discusses the lasting influences of the “supertext.” Supertexts are important for both what they say and how they say it. These are texts that withstand the test of time. I like the axiom, “One truly original idea is worth a hundred regurgitations of conventional wisdom.” This next year I am asking God to help me focus as I immersing in five “supertexts,” resources I believe Andrew Murray would here refer to as “the curriculum in God’s School of Obedience”:

1. The Bible;
2. Jonathan Edwards’ Resolutions. 70 in all to cover in 52 weeks plus various other writings;
3. Charles Spurgeon. “Morning and Evening” plus occasional sermons and various other writings;
4. Oswald Chambers: “Abandoned to God,” “My Utmost for His Highest”, “Biblical Psychology” and “Biblical Ethics”;
5. Eric Liddell’s “Disciplines of the Christian Life.”

Why the Bible? See Psalm 19.

Why Jonathan Edwards? God focused him like a laser-beam and punched through to the mind, showing the majesty of God in all things. This is a man who was more concerned about his love for God than anything else. I believe he lived out Prov. 3:5-6.

Why Charles Spurgeon? God focused him like a laser-beam and punched through churchianty. This is a man who had solid of faith.

Why Oswald Chambers? God focused him like a laser-beam and punched through the idolatry of self. Here is a man who addressed the conscience, showing that those things that bother a man the most are understood and answered in the context of God.

Why Eric Liddle? God focused him like a laser-beam and punched through the international barrier and complacency. Light from the cross made his grace appear small. The mission field got him to where he needed to be: concentration camp, where he died discipling teachers and students even in the most horrible conditions.

So this next year, I am resolved (!) to immerse myself in the scriptures and the writings and the lives of these men, to focus, that I may be more effectively used by God.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Finished Reading: Samuel Johnson