How Well Do You Know Your Oil?
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Since the subject of oil is very much in our headlines as an industrial and environment concern, how about testing your knowledge regarding other kinds and uses for oil? Should you find you are not so slick with the answers, feel free to skim from the hints.


- Who asked the wise virgins for oil for their lamps? (Matthew 25:7-8)
- Who used oil on the wounds of a man beaten by robbers? (Luke 10:33-34)
- Who multiplied the oil of a widow so she could pay her debts? (2 Kings 4:2-7)
- What tribe received this blessing: “let him be the favorite of his brothers, and let him dip his foot in oil"? (Deuteronomy 33:24)
- To whom did Jesus say, “You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment”? (Luke 7:43, 46)
- Who poured oil a on a pillar of stone and named the place Bethel? (Genesis 35:14-15)
- Who asked a woman to pretend to be a mourner and not anoint herself with oil? (2 Samuel 14:2)
- Who was anointed with oil by Zadok? (1 Kings 1:29)
- To whom did Solomon give twenty thousand measures of pure oil in exchange for cedar trees? (1 Kings 5:11)
- Who told a woman to make him a cake of her last meal and oil and her supply of oil and meal would not run out? (I Kings 17:12-16)
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...