Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

How long did it take to create the heavens and the earth: six days or one day?

Genesis 1:1-2:3 describe the first six days of creation, but 2:4 says, “This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and heaven.” So which is it: did it take one day, or six days?

Answer: six days. Let’s be fair in the use of language. When we refer to a day of work do we mean “9 to 5” or “24 hours?”

  • “Back in the day,” I had a mullet.
  • “Back in the day,” I drank beer.
  • “Back in the day,” I could have cared less.
What day? There is no particular day of which I am thinking, but am instead recalling a period of time—a number of years as a matter of fact! The same is true here. Moses is not being fickle, but for the purpose of introducing a new narrative is summarizing what he has said once already.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception