Tolstoy, after Rousseau, on Knowledge and Wisdom

“Real wisdom is not the knowledge of everything, but the knowledge of which things in life are necessary, which are less necessary, and which are completely unnecessary to know. Among the most necessary knowledge is the knowledge of how to live well, that is, how to produce the least possible evil and the greatest goodness in one’s life. At present, people study useless sciences, but forget to study this, the most important knowledge.”

"The Drunkard's Will" (by Gorham D. Abbott, 1833)

"I, ________, beginning to be enfeebled in body, and fearing that I may soon be palsied in mind, and having entered upon that course of drinking from which I have not resolution to flee; do make and publish this, my last will and testament--

Having been made in the image of my Creator, capable of rational enjoyment, of imparting happiness to others, and of promoting the glory of God--I know my accountability. Yet such is my fondness for sensual gratification, and my utter indisposition to resist temptation, that I give myself entirely to alcohol and its associate vices, and make the following bequests--

My property I give to be wasted--knowing it will soon fall into the hands of those who furnish me with liquor.

My reputation, already tottering on a sandy foundation--I give to destruction.

To my beloved wife, who has cheered me thus far through life--I give shame, poverty, sorrow, and a broken heart.

To each of my children--I bequeath my example, and the inheritance of the shame of their father's character.

I give my body--to disease, misery, and early death.

Finally, I give my soul, which can never die--to the disposal of that God whose commands I have broken, and who has warned me by His Word--that no drunkard shall inherit the kingdom of heaven."

************

"Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaints? Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes? Those who linger over wine, who go to sample bowls of mixed wine. Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly! In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper!" Proverbs 23:29-32

(From Grace Gems daily devotional)

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Finished Reading: “An Essay Concerning the True Original Extent and End of Civil Government.”