The Nagging Question
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I've touched these books before and have always appreciated the comprehensiveness of these works. Ahhhhh, life before Google.
Ok, it's dated material. So what? Such a set has it's own kind of value to me. I'd love to have these books . . .
How many volumes make up the entire set? I picked up one volume, and found the list of titles by the author. Eleven Volumes in the set. So I counted: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 . . . 8? Missing three. Where could three volumes of a withdrawn set of books be?
Approaching the student working at the desk I inquired if said person knew the whereabouts of the missing volumes. The worker did not know, but (I was told) the set did sit in the Research Librarian's office for a while--maybe he'll know. While waiting for him to get off the phone, we searched the stacks to see if the three volumes were inadvertently left on the shelf. Nothing. Then the worker said what I was already thinking . . . and hoped that what I was thinking had not happened.
"We put these out yesterday. Maybe someone took the books." I swallowed hard. I tried not to say it. But it came out anyway.
"Who breaks up a set?"
I'm sure my voice was raised with incredulity. Maybe a little. The worker just looked at me. Who knows what thoughts just occurred there.
The Librarian finished the phone call then did some behind-the-scenes checking for me. Nothing.
"Maybe we never had the entire set in the Library." I was stunned, refusing to accept or believe what I just heard. Do libraries do that? Acquire and provide partial sets?
Maybe, just maybe, the three books are being used at another campus or checked out by students . . . they'll keep an eye out for me and will direct the volumes my way should they present.
Maybe they got lost.
The nagging questions haunts me: how was the set broken up? "Who breaks up a set?" I need medication.
In case you're wondering, I took the set as it remained. That way I can keep my eye on it.
Ok, it's dated material. So what? Such a set has it's own kind of value to me. I'd love to have these books . . .
How many volumes make up the entire set? I picked up one volume, and found the list of titles by the author. Eleven Volumes in the set. So I counted: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 . . . 8? Missing three. Where could three volumes of a withdrawn set of books be?
Approaching the student working at the desk I inquired if said person knew the whereabouts of the missing volumes. The worker did not know, but (I was told) the set did sit in the Research Librarian's office for a while--maybe he'll know. While waiting for him to get off the phone, we searched the stacks to see if the three volumes were inadvertently left on the shelf. Nothing. Then the worker said what I was already thinking . . . and hoped that what I was thinking had not happened.
"We put these out yesterday. Maybe someone took the books." I swallowed hard. I tried not to say it. But it came out anyway.
"Who breaks up a set?"
I'm sure my voice was raised with incredulity. Maybe a little. The worker just looked at me. Who knows what thoughts just occurred there.
The Librarian finished the phone call then did some behind-the-scenes checking for me. Nothing.
"Maybe we never had the entire set in the Library." I was stunned, refusing to accept or believe what I just heard. Do libraries do that? Acquire and provide partial sets?
Maybe, just maybe, the three books are being used at another campus or checked out by students . . . they'll keep an eye out for me and will direct the volumes my way should they present.
Maybe they got lost.
The nagging questions haunts me: how was the set broken up? "Who breaks up a set?" I need medication.
In case you're wondering, I took the set as it remained. That way I can keep my eye on it.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
The Island-Fish
“O ye passengers, whom may God preserve! come up quickly in to the ship, hasten to embark, and leave your merchandise, and flee with your lives, and save yourselves from destruction; for this apparent island, upon which ye are, is not really an island, but it is a great fish that hath become stationary in the midst of the sea, and the sand hath accumulated upon it, so that it hath become like an island, and trees have grown upon it since times of old; and when ye lighted the fire upon it, the fish felt the heat, and put itself in motion, and now it will descend with you into the sea, and ye will all be drowned: then seek for yourselves escape before destruction, and leave the merchandise.—The passengers, therefore, hearing the words of the master of the ship, hastened to go up into the vessel, leaving the merchandise, and their other goods, and their copper cooking-pots, and their fire-pots; and some reached the ship, and others reached it not. The island had moved, and descended...
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...
