Tolstoy, after Rousseau, on Knowledge and Wisdom

“Real wisdom is not the knowledge of everything, but the knowledge of which things in life are necessary, which are less necessary, and which are completely unnecessary to know. Among the most necessary knowledge is the knowledge of how to live well, that is, how to produce the least possible evil and the greatest goodness in one’s life. At present, people study useless sciences, but forget to study this, the most important knowledge.”

Revisiting The Journal

credit: Lifehack
Today I was challenged with the question as to how I interact with culture: Am I a "cultural engager," a "cultural defender," or a "cultural creator"? I must say, "yes," as I do not fall into any one category. Then I met a new (to me) American philosopher through a daily e-mail, who comments on the writings of Marcus Aurelius:

“Few care now about the marches and counter marches of the Roman commanders. What the centuries have clung to is a notebook of thoughts by a man whose real life was largely unknown who put down in the midnight dimness of not the events of the day or the plans of the morrow, but something of far more permanent interest, the ideals and aspirations that a rare spirit lived by.”

This short quote challenges me to:
  1. deepen my current practice of journaling; specifically, to return to "dialogue" with authors I read; 
  2. seek out more of Blanshard's work on the basis of his stance regarding Absolutes; that is, his argument for a consistent single Universal (not "universal"--there is a difference) intelligent system. I am intrigued by his defense of coherent truth. Based on what I've read so far, Blanshard's "Reason" does not seem to be autonomous from the strict humanist perspective.
This quote grabbed my attention because, while I often feel my personal journal is of little or no significance, it is in fact one of very few places I am able to work out ways in which I interact with the world in which I live. At times, my journal is the mirror by which I adjust my world-view glasses. While it mostly serves as a daily record, I must continue to work out cultural engagement, cultural defense and/or cultivate my creativity. In other words, explore with pen-in-hand:

  1. of how I seek the change the world in which I live; that is, how I understand the world around me, the language, the way people think against the background of Absolutes;
  2. of how I desire to preserve those things which are worth keeping; that is, which Particulars are in harmony with Absolutes;  
  3. of how I can contribute through writing, music, art, poetry, blogging, etc.  
Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758) and Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919) recorded their observations of flora and fauna in order to better understand themselves and how the world works, for crying out loud! 

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Finished Reading: “An Essay Concerning the True Original Extent and End of Civil Government.”