Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

The Best-Looking Man and The Motorcycle Saint (Day 5)

The patron saint of motorcyclists happens to be Columbanus (ca. 543-615 AD). You know what a “patron saint” is, don’t you? A patron saint is (simply put) the special protector, the heavenly advocate of anything important to us. “Recently, the popes have named patron saints but patrons can be chosen by other individuals or groups as well. Patron saints are often chosen today because an interest, talent, or event in their lives overlaps with the special area.” (The Catholic Encyclopedia). Maybe you’ve heard (or prayed):


“Columbanus be my guide, 
as I climb upon my ride
Let your halo light the way, 
keep me safe from harm today
Find a peaceful sunny place, 
and let it shine upon my face
Keep the clouds and rain at bay, 
and keep me dry throughout the day
Watch over those who ride with me, 
keep them safe and close to thee
Keep my wheels upon the ground, 
so I'll return home safe and sound
Should disaster be my fate, 
guide me on through heaven's gate
If I must join my fallen brethren
Please show me the way to biker's heaven.”

Not sure why or how Columbanus became the Motorcycle saint--was it because he was “all over the map,” travelling through Ireland planting churches, living in caves? Or because he wrestled a bear and walked through a pack of wolves? Or because he multiplied bread and beer like Jesus did with the fish and loaves (after all, he was Irish)? Whatever the reason, here’s a poem penned by the Motorcycle saint:


“The beauty of men
shall vanish in old age.
All former comeliness
is wiped away with grief.
The radiance of Christ’s face,
lovely before all things,
is more to be desired
than the frail flower of flesh.”

There’s a beauty that never fades and it’s not found in outward appearances. It’s a kind of beauty that is captivates some and repels others. And it’s found beyond us, beyond you and me.

"You are the most handsome of the sons of men; grace is poured upon your lips; therefore God has blessed you forever." (Psalm 45:2)

The most attractive man of all time gains that title through the eyes of those who love Him, but it’s not a physical beauty that makes him the most fair. “Grace is poured” on His lips and because of this, God has blessed him forever. This makes him top-notch. He speaks with favor, with kindness, is pleasant. This is not speaking with “charm” but speaking with the needs of others in mind, bringing comfort to those who hear. The words of the King do not "drive" his people, but provide what His people need for life--and to enjoy His presence.

He is attractive by how he speaks. He shares with others what he receives from God--this is the meaning of “blessed.” He does not keep what he receives to himself. He desires the good will of his subjects and (in a manner of speaking) “kisses” those around him with a kind and gentle heart. There’s a kind of radiance in that, a kind of radiance that causes others to want to be near him.

No wonder the writer gushes the adoration as he does, expressing the love of the bride with such carefully chosen words. 

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception