Happy Breakfast Club Day!

Image
It was actually yesterday, but you know how these calendars work.  Things to do today: 1) ponder the error of your ways; 2) take a moment to dance a little; 3) have a snack; 4) enjoy a makeover (if applicable); 5) be specific when describing the ruckus. 6) Don’t forget about me.

How To Go Steady

I learned a new word today.
It's ευσταθια (eustatheia). The basically means to go "steady." The range of meaning includes "good disposition; tranquility; stability; firmness; lead a quiet life; be at rest; be calm; stand firm."

The process is simple: before us lays every opportunity to do right, to choose what is good. The centerpiece is how we chose to respond.


The other day when driving into our neighborhood I noticed an excessive amount of water in my neighbor's driveway. It had been freezing temps outside, so I know she had not just washed her car though it was parked in the huge puddle. She never parks her car outside . . .

I had not finished unloading my backpack when there came a knock at the door. It was my neighbor asking if I could come over and find where the water was coming from.

I had not cleared my porch when I saw the water gushing out from under the eaves of the garage, shooting out the side of the garage from under the Hardi-plank. Walking into the garage, the water stains in the ceiling was obvious and it was evident that the walls were full of water, too.

Grabbing a wrench I ran to the street and shut off the water to the house. No damage inside the house per se, but the rooms above the garage clearly had water under the floor.

When I explained to my neighbor what I found and showed her the damage (water was now leaking from electrical sockets), she never wavered, never crumbled. She just looked at me and said, "It could be worse." Sure she eventually shed a tear but her face never showed distress. She just smiled and we strategized her next move. Next day repair trucks were already there.

She had ευσταθια. 


Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Finished Reading: “An Essay Concerning the True Original Extent and End of Civil Government.”