Bigger Plans
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
"Whenever you find yourself blaming providence, turn it around in your mind and you will see that what has happened is in keeping with reason." (Epictetus, Discourses 3.17)
Ryan Holiday explains this perfectly. "Part of the reason we fight against the things that happen is that we're so focused on our plan that we forget that there might be a bigger plan we don't know about . . . . We also forget that we're not the only people who matter and that our loss might be someone else's gain."
I am learning not to get upset when things don't go my way. How about you? Epictetus teaches that there's a "reason" at work, far beyond ours. Yes, we should make plans but we should also be flexible for we simply do not understand enough of all things to make plans perfectly. Don't miss this though: Epictetus did not come up with this principle out of the blue. Reason led him to it. We know this because the same principle surfaces in other cultures--an objective and personal being has a purpose at work.
Life becomes much easier when we remember there are two parts to the equation: my subjectivity + a personal objectivity = guided reason.
Why should we shake our fist at God when things don't go our way? We don't know the number of hairs on the back of a Tibetan yak, so how can we say that God is to blame for our failed plans? We just don't know enough. Turn it around in your mind and see there's a greater mind at work. Be relieved of that responsibility, shift gears and try again.
Don't stop thinking big, though.
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Rom. 8:28)
Ryan Holiday explains this perfectly. "Part of the reason we fight against the things that happen is that we're so focused on our plan that we forget that there might be a bigger plan we don't know about . . . . We also forget that we're not the only people who matter and that our loss might be someone else's gain."
I am learning not to get upset when things don't go my way. How about you? Epictetus teaches that there's a "reason" at work, far beyond ours. Yes, we should make plans but we should also be flexible for we simply do not understand enough of all things to make plans perfectly. Don't miss this though: Epictetus did not come up with this principle out of the blue. Reason led him to it. We know this because the same principle surfaces in other cultures--an objective and personal being has a purpose at work.
Life becomes much easier when we remember there are two parts to the equation: my subjectivity + a personal objectivity = guided reason.
Why should we shake our fist at God when things don't go our way? We don't know the number of hairs on the back of a Tibetan yak, so how can we say that God is to blame for our failed plans? We just don't know enough. Turn it around in your mind and see there's a greater mind at work. Be relieved of that responsibility, shift gears and try again.
Don't stop thinking big, though.
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Rom. 8:28)
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...
