Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

Self-assessment (part 1)

“Above all, it is necessary for a person to have a true self-estimate, for we commonly think we can do more than we really can.” – Seneca, On Tranquility of Mind, 5.2
  • When you look inside, what do you see? Who do you see? 
  • What times stand out in your life where you surprisingly succeeded or miserably failed? 
  • When did you do more than was expected or bite off more than you can chew? 
Nearly every day at noon I do one thing that makes me say, "what did I just get myself in to?" 
One of my training partners invariably and succinctly says, "well that sucked." But you know, that one thing serves to remind me to check myself--what is realistic? Every time I am confident I can do it and every time (nearly) I reach a point when I think I can't do any more but when I reach that line, I step over and before long it's done. I train because it's hard. 

I train because harder things happen in real life. 
  • So how do you start your day? Do you take a moment to "see" what's coming and prepare yourself? Have you trained mentally, emotionally, spiritually, even physically? 
  • And as the day rolls on, do you fall back on your preparations, your training? 
  • What about the end of the day? I like to sit down with my journal and try to grab at least one facet of the day and analyze it, assessing myself. Find my weaknesses and get to work turning them into strengths. 
Perhaps one great point to take from Seneca is this: say "no" to something. 

You don't have to get in over your head, but you can prepare for when that happens. 

Don't downgrade yourself by seeing yourself as less than you are (you can do much more than you are able) but don't think too highly of yourself either. Strengthen the ability to self-assess with honesty and get to work on what you are capable of--you'll know when to start cutting back. 

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception