Self-assessment (part 1)
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
“Above all, it is necessary for a person to have a true self-estimate, for we commonly think we can do more than we really can.” – Seneca, On Tranquility of Mind, 5.2
You don't have to get in over your head, but you can prepare for when that happens.
- When you look inside, what do you see? Who do you see?
- What times stand out in your life where you surprisingly succeeded or miserably failed?
- When did you do more than was expected or bite off more than you can chew?
Nearly every day at noon I do one thing that makes me say, "what did I just get myself in to?"
One of my training partners invariably and succinctly says, "well that sucked." But you know, that one thing serves to remind me to check myself--what is realistic? Every time I am confident I can do it and every time (nearly) I reach a point when I think I can't do any more but when I reach that line, I step over and before long it's done. I train because it's hard.
I train because harder things happen in real life.
- So how do you start your day? Do you take a moment to "see" what's coming and prepare yourself? Have you trained mentally, emotionally, spiritually, even physically?
- And as the day rolls on, do you fall back on your preparations, your training?
- What about the end of the day? I like to sit down with my journal and try to grab at least one facet of the day and analyze it, assessing myself. Find my weaknesses and get to work turning them into strengths.
Perhaps one great point to take from Seneca is this: say "no" to something.
You don't have to get in over your head, but you can prepare for when that happens.
Don't downgrade yourself by seeing yourself as less than you are (you can do much more than you are able) but don't think too highly of yourself either. Strengthen the ability to self-assess with honesty and get to work on what you are capable of--you'll know when to start cutting back.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...