Time Out

 I need a time out. I’ve gone days without reading or writing a single line. Might not seem like a “thing” to you, but if you know me, that might be cause for investigation. So investigate, I did.

Some soul-searching revealed a few factors. Most notably, I’ve experienced a significant job change and not only that, a significant schedule change. I no longer work a standard workday. I am now in a management position at a local hotel, and hotels never close. So in a matter of speaking, I have been working around the clock and that kind of schedule is not typical to me, so I’m learning. And I’m tired.


Another aspect is really twofold. First, I have “super sized” my way through my reading regimen. By this I mean to reference Morgan Spurlocks experimental documentary where he ate nothing but McDonald’s food for a month and how sick he got from eating a limited menu. In a manner of speaking I’ve been doing the same thing by reading bite-sized morsels from a small selection of writers. Second, when I reached five days of non-writing, I knew I was dry. I do not discount exhaustion from my schedule, but what happens if one does not eat? One grows weak. So I assess I am simply out of ammo. 


While I do not believe in writer’s block (as this post implies—one can write anything, anytime), but I do believe the mind needs be fed as the stomach. The spirit, too (my former employer was not kind to the soul and I need some recovery). I will say one tool is helpful and that is talk-to-text, which helps speed composition along. 


Two additional events occurred that also underscore my decision. First, a family checked into the hotel recently and there on top of their luggage was a small stack of books. I applauded the children for reading actual books! The second was interacting with our grandson: I’d rather him see me reading actual books (he loves to join me at my desk when I write) than on my phone or Kindle. Just so you know, we do read at bedtime. His first book was a childhood favorite called “Scuppers The Sailor Dog.” He has his own copy, of course. 


So I just need a little break to rest, rejuvenate, reload. See you soon!

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Welcome, May!