Rock Me, Epictetus!

Image
“Keep constant guard over your perceptions, for it is no small thing you are protecting, but your respect, trustworthiness and steadiness, peace of mind, freedom from pain and fear, in a word your freedom. For what would you sell these things?” EPICTETUS, DISCOURSES, 4.3.6 b –8 

Bookmark

 

While on a small ladder in my closet looking for Christmas decorations a couple weeks ago, I found two small wooden boxes sitting on a high shelf. I parked them there and forgot about them. The contents of each box contain memorabilia from teenage and early adulthood such as photographs, awards, newspaper clippings, and so forth. One particular item caught my eye so I fished it out: a monogrammed brass bookmark. While I can’t exactly recall from whence it came, I gladly return it to use as I continue my reading adventures. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Reflection in Plato’s “Republic” Book 2

A Sonnet