Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

Holiness and the Christian

1 Samuel 13:13-14, "Samuel said to Saul, 'You have acted foolishly; you have not kept the commandment of the LORD your God, which He commanded you, for now the LORD would have established your kingdom over Israel forever. But now your kingdom shall not endure. The LORD has sought out for Himself a man afer His own heart, and the LORD has appointed him as ruler over His people, because you have not kept what the LORD commanded you.'"

God does not compromise and expects His commandments to be kept. He is light, and in HIm is no darkness at all (1 John 1:5). Keeping God's commands are closely knit with our love for Him (John 14:15). Saul lost the kingdom because he did not seek after God's heart, which was evident by his failing to obey God's commands. There was no contrition on Saul's part after he lost the kingdom. Picture the child who when he cannot get his own way, storms off and says, "Fine! I didn't want to play anyway." I wonder how much I have lost when I've sinned against God by faltering in my love for Him and not keeping His commandments . . .

Psalm 51:4, "Against You, You only, I have sinned and done what is evil in Your sight, so that You are justified when You speak and blameless when You judge."

David sinned against God, but when made to realize how God saw his heart, he wept and repented. He surrendered his selfish love and threw himself on the mercy of God. He readjusted his love-motive and did not lose the kingdom. When we agree with how God sees our hearts and the evil we do in His sight, we are without excuse and can either receive the due penalty for our sin, or repent and find grace, forgiveness, love and restoration. Confession of sin is a major step toward walking in holiness.

Isaiah 6:1-5, "In the year of King Uzziah's death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple. Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called out to another and said, 'Holy, Holy, Holy, is the LORD of hosts, the whole earth is full of His glory.' And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke. Then I said, 'Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."

If we see God as He is, just as we are, then we are destroyed--that's really what Isaiah said, "I am destroyed." I often wonder at those who say they've had visions of God, yet remain unchanged. I often wonder at those who seek to encounter "God." Do they know what they are after? The whole earth contains two kinds of evidence concerning God: first, that He is; and second, that He is perfect. God's character is seen as absolutes that show up like His own fingerprints on the canvas of nature: breath-taking beauty; majesty; goodness; love, to name a few. How can we see these things and not marvel at His Majesty and our smallness.

Isaiah 40:25, "'To whom then will you liken Me that I would be his equal?' says the Holy One."

How dare we even consider the thought.

Jeremiah 51:5, "For neither Israel nor Judah has been forsaken by his God, the LORD of hosts, although their land if full of guilt before the Holy One of Israel."

God does not forget those to whom He has promised. Nor does God take lightly those who have sinned against Him.

Ezekiel 39:7, "My holy name I will make known in the midst of My people Israel; and I will not let My holy name be profaned anymore. And the nations will know that I may the LORD, the Holy One in Israel."

God has a reputation and He will protect His reputation which is summed up in His Holy Name, which is high and lifted up. Everything about Him is uncommon, so He will not be lowered nor let His reputation be profaned by any degree. When all is said and done, the nations will know that He is the Lord. This should be taken seriously, as He has made certain of this before. Read Exodus 6:2-8; 7:5; 7:17; 8:10; 9:14; 9:29; 10:2; 12:12 for some examples.

Romans 6:14, "For sin shall not be master of you, for you are not under law but under grace."

We. Do. Not. Have. To. Sin.
God's grace has covered our guilt and God's mercy has covered our shame.
Walking in Holiness means we must be mastered by the God of holiness.

Revelation 22:11, "Let no one who does wrong, still do wrong; and the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy."

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception