Thinking about Holiness
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Some thoughts concerning Holiness as I read and work through the study guide:
Exodus 15:11, "Who is like You among the gods, O LORD? Who is like You, majestic in holiness, awesome in praises, working wonders?"
God has just delivered Israel (from the beginning of the plagues to the destruction of Pharoah's army through the closing of the Red Sea waters) whereby they saw the great power which the LORD had used against the Egyptians, resulting in their fearing and believing in the Lord (Ex. 14:31). Their jubilant song celebrating God's deliverance contains this declaration concerning the incomparible nature of God: He is not on the same level (to be worshipped as) a mere god of water, frogs, insects, cattle, health, weather, light or darkness, life or death. This God has no comparison. Any other god is an idol, competing against another, lacking in majesty, without awe or praise and working no wonders. The true and living God is separated out, far above and beyond.
Leviticus 19:1-2, "Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 'Speak to all the congregation of the sons of Israel and say to them, "You shall be holy, for I the LORD your God am holy."'"
This holy, incomparible God calls His people to be like Him. God's people are not like other people, counted among the rest but separated out, different by His doing.
Psalm 89:35, "Once I have sworn by My holiness; I will not lie to David."
God's Word is established on His Holiness--it does not waver nor change. This promise rooted in His holiness refers to the covenant that the throne of David will stand forever, referring ultimately to the Messiah. In other words, the one who sits on The Throne will be representative of God's unchanging perfection.
Isaiah 57:15, "For thus says the high and exalted One who lives forever, whose name is holy, 'I will dwell on a high and holy place, and also with the contrite and lowly of spirit in order to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite."
God is far above and beyond, yet He is in the midst; that is, God is everywhere, but not simply anywhere. The one who sees his heart as God sees it, and turns from his sin, allowing God to bring him to life again, will be made into God's exalted dwelling place. This no mere "asking God into your heart" or "we all have a divine spark."
1 Peter 1:14-16, "As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, 'You shall be Holy, for I am Holy.'"
Simply upholding the moral law will not erase the damage done through those former lusts which were ours in ignorance. The Holy One Himself does not merely call us to "clean up our act" but to be cleaned by Him. We are no longer bound to the power of sin, but are free to do everything Holy.
Habakkuk 1:13a-b, "Your eyes are too pure to approve evil, and You can not look on wickedness with favor."
The justice of God is built on the foundation of His Holiness. He cannot simply ignore or dismiss sin.
Zechariah 8:17, "'Also let none of you devise evil in your heart against another, and do not love prejury; for all these are what I hate,' delcares the Lord."
When I lay down at night, what goes through my head?
James 1:13, "Let no one say when he is tempted, 'I am being tempted by God'; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone."
God will only do that which conforms to His nature, and He expects the crown of His creation (man) to be like Him: Holy.
Exodus 15:11, "Who is like You among the gods, O LORD? Who is like You, majestic in holiness, awesome in praises, working wonders?"
God has just delivered Israel (from the beginning of the plagues to the destruction of Pharoah's army through the closing of the Red Sea waters) whereby they saw the great power which the LORD had used against the Egyptians, resulting in their fearing and believing in the Lord (Ex. 14:31). Their jubilant song celebrating God's deliverance contains this declaration concerning the incomparible nature of God: He is not on the same level (to be worshipped as) a mere god of water, frogs, insects, cattle, health, weather, light or darkness, life or death. This God has no comparison. Any other god is an idol, competing against another, lacking in majesty, without awe or praise and working no wonders. The true and living God is separated out, far above and beyond.
Leviticus 19:1-2, "Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 'Speak to all the congregation of the sons of Israel and say to them, "You shall be holy, for I the LORD your God am holy."'"
This holy, incomparible God calls His people to be like Him. God's people are not like other people, counted among the rest but separated out, different by His doing.
Psalm 89:35, "Once I have sworn by My holiness; I will not lie to David."
God's Word is established on His Holiness--it does not waver nor change. This promise rooted in His holiness refers to the covenant that the throne of David will stand forever, referring ultimately to the Messiah. In other words, the one who sits on The Throne will be representative of God's unchanging perfection.
Isaiah 57:15, "For thus says the high and exalted One who lives forever, whose name is holy, 'I will dwell on a high and holy place, and also with the contrite and lowly of spirit in order to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite."
God is far above and beyond, yet He is in the midst; that is, God is everywhere, but not simply anywhere. The one who sees his heart as God sees it, and turns from his sin, allowing God to bring him to life again, will be made into God's exalted dwelling place. This no mere "asking God into your heart" or "we all have a divine spark."
1 Peter 1:14-16, "As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, 'You shall be Holy, for I am Holy.'"
Simply upholding the moral law will not erase the damage done through those former lusts which were ours in ignorance. The Holy One Himself does not merely call us to "clean up our act" but to be cleaned by Him. We are no longer bound to the power of sin, but are free to do everything Holy.
Habakkuk 1:13a-b, "Your eyes are too pure to approve evil, and You can not look on wickedness with favor."
The justice of God is built on the foundation of His Holiness. He cannot simply ignore or dismiss sin.
Zechariah 8:17, "'Also let none of you devise evil in your heart against another, and do not love prejury; for all these are what I hate,' delcares the Lord."
When I lay down at night, what goes through my head?
James 1:13, "Let no one say when he is tempted, 'I am being tempted by God'; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone."
God will only do that which conforms to His nature, and He expects the crown of His creation (man) to be like Him: Holy.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...