"Spontaneous Creation," Dr. Hawking? The Giraffe Doesn't Think So.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Stephen Hawking is trying to change his mind, saying that physics is the reason for the Big Bang, not God. Dr. Hawking now has left himself without an answer concerning the origin of physics. "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God," he wrote. We do have a complete theory, Dr. Hawking; but, human reason accepts or denies it--it cannot triumph over it.
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.
Spontaneous creation? This reminds me of the conversation I had with a young lady who claimed she was an athiest. When I asked for her explaination for the origins of the Universe, she replied, "it was a miracle."
Just today Tim Challies reminded me of this episode that originally aired on National Geographic Channel. The "golden nugget" is from the 3:30 to the 3:55 mark (if you have a queezy stomach, you may want to fast forward to those marks):
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.
Spontaneous creation? This reminds me of the conversation I had with a young lady who claimed she was an athiest. When I asked for her explaination for the origins of the Universe, she replied, "it was a miracle."
Just today Tim Challies reminded me of this episode that originally aired on National Geographic Channel. The "golden nugget" is from the 3:30 to the 3:55 mark (if you have a queezy stomach, you may want to fast forward to those marks):
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...