How Does Your Pastor Pray?
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Recently I read of Ci, a Border Collie that has developed a fear of sheep. Imagine! A sheepdog afraid of sheep! The only way the shepherd is able to keep the flock from getting the upper-hand (stamping their feet and ganging up) is to get behind the herd with dog, call the sheep, and when the sheep approach, the dog runs off in the direction the shepherd actually wants to go!
Now imagine a pastor that is driven by his congregation--flock-driven, if you will. Not hard to do, is it?
Sadly this is the condition of many churches today, with ovinophobic leaders. This is not leadership at all—and the congregation becomes not-sheep, but . . . well, I’m not sure what they are, but they are not sheep.
The Apostle Paul regards the Ephesians in a special way—he gushes with gratitude for this church. He says in his prayer concerning them, “For this reason I too, having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which exists among you and your love for all the saints, do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers.” (Ephesians 1:15-16)
Paul is thankful that this church consists of Christ-followers, exercising faith in their Lord. From the beginning when they first repented, to their continual walk with Him by faith, their faith is known and measurable. Paul thanks God for His work in them, and he wants them to know of his gratitude. This is deeper than the kind of gratitude that helps a family stay strong. There is a great God at work building His church and Paul wants them to know they are a special part of what God is doing, and God is still doing that work. They are growing in faith because they are followers, not drivers.
Paul is also thankful in the love they show for all the saints. They love each other. That’s right—they do something else besides spending 30 seconds welcoming each other after singing and before the announcements. They love others because they first love God. They pray for one another and support each other in their walk in the Lord. They are receiving instruction and are obedient.
How is your pastor praying for you? Are you cause for great rejoicing and thankfulness, or is he on the run?
How is your faith moving you forward in obedience?
Now imagine a pastor that is driven by his congregation--flock-driven, if you will. Not hard to do, is it?
Sadly this is the condition of many churches today, with ovinophobic leaders. This is not leadership at all—and the congregation becomes not-sheep, but . . . well, I’m not sure what they are, but they are not sheep.
The Apostle Paul regards the Ephesians in a special way—he gushes with gratitude for this church. He says in his prayer concerning them, “For this reason I too, having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which exists among you and your love for all the saints, do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers.” (Ephesians 1:15-16)
Paul is thankful that this church consists of Christ-followers, exercising faith in their Lord. From the beginning when they first repented, to their continual walk with Him by faith, their faith is known and measurable. Paul thanks God for His work in them, and he wants them to know of his gratitude. This is deeper than the kind of gratitude that helps a family stay strong. There is a great God at work building His church and Paul wants them to know they are a special part of what God is doing, and God is still doing that work. They are growing in faith because they are followers, not drivers.
Paul is also thankful in the love they show for all the saints. They love each other. That’s right—they do something else besides spending 30 seconds welcoming each other after singing and before the announcements. They love others because they first love God. They pray for one another and support each other in their walk in the Lord. They are receiving instruction and are obedient.
How is your pastor praying for you? Are you cause for great rejoicing and thankfulness, or is he on the run?
How is your faith moving you forward in obedience?
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...